Thread: Installing windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Installing windows 8

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade my laptop to Windows 8. I currently have Ubuntu 12.10 installed alongside Windows 7. I've had a lot of trouble getting ubuntu installed and working (AMD graphics ) so I'd like to just leave that as is.

Is it possible to just install windows 8 over W7 in the same partition? How do I go about doing that? Is it as straight forward as just putting the disk in or is the whole secure boot thing going to cause issues?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installing windows 8

I used microsofts upgrade tool to do that. I had the same setup and it will put windows 8 on the same partition as windows 7. It worked pretty easily and without a problem for me and I am no expert...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by therog726 View Post
    Is it possible to just install windows 8 over W7 in the same partition? How do I go about doing that? Is it as straight forward as just putting the disk in or is the whole secure boot thing going to cause issues?
    You should go to the Windows 8 forum (eightforums.com) and read through the upgrade tutorials there. I would run the upgrade advisor before you jump in to the upgrade.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have a fully-licensed Windows 8 DVD, you might consider installing it in a virtual machine with VirtualBox. Follow the instructions for "Debian-based distributions" here to add the repository and key then install with apt-get.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    You should go to the Windows 8 forum (eightforums.com) and read through the upgrade tutorials there. I would run the upgrade advisor before you jump in to the upgrade.
    Thanks all for your help. Have asked in the W8 forums and will see what comes of that.

Cheers