Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering installing Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Considering installing Ubuntu 13.04

It's running so nice for me on live session (downloaded latest daily build) even has kernel 3.8 which has some very nice improvements in power management and performance that i have noticed on my new Toshiba laptop with intel i3 core processor....

I know i should really wait until final release, when i was planning on replacing my 12.10 install with 13.04...
    Then i thought, maybe i should install it as a dual boot for now...

From those that have been testing, do you think it's stable enough at this point for daily usage or should i just wait until April?

All feedback appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Considering installing Ubuntu 13.04

Because it's stable today it doesn't mean something won't break in the next update. That's what testing versions are all about.

Installing on another partition and keeping a stable release in case of breakages is a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    From those that have been testing, do you think it's stable enough at this point for daily usage [...]

All feedback appreciated!
    It's too stable IMO. Either that, or I've gotten too adept at fixing problems.

Hrm...

Yoko Ono once said, you can't unknow what you know.

If you're new to testing, then you'll probably have some fun. Otherwise, it'll be a snooze...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Considering installing Ubuntu 13.04

You could try a Dual Boot Scenario. For example: I usually Dual Boot 13.04 with Windows 8 RTM (Release to Manufacturing Build).
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    Thus far an absolute delight. This is the best I have ever had it. That being said, I don't update my wife's computer until I know that everything is working ok on mine. We both have the same basic needs and use much the same software. Word of caution! Some PPA's wont work with this release since they haven't been updated yet. There may be some software that doesn't yet have a 13.04 candidate. You will have to wait for the release which may be the same day as the Beta release and possibly even later. If you are already testing everything you need and it is working you should be fine. Or not!
    Its testing!

Beans
    Distro

Well, the only "outside" stuff i install on ubuntu (that isn't in the software center) are deb files for google chrome and a deb file
    I have for installing the REAL oracle java 7 (not the open source version) and both of these seem to run fine when installed in 13.04 live session...both of these debs do put ppas into the software updater for updated versions...

I am actually in the live session as i type this (lol)...

My thought was, if i was going to install, safer to dual boot with 12.10 since that way i would have a definite reliable back up to use...

Appreciate the input so far and anyone else that would like to comment, would love your impressions...

And i take it that no one has experienced breakages or major set backs so far?

I haven't really ever installed testing versions before, only reason i am tempted with 13.04 is because the improvements i have noted on my computer w/intel is fairly dramatic (in a positive way of course..lol)
    Last edited by craig10x; January 28th, 2013 at 05:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post

My thought was, if i was going to install, safer to dual boot with 12.10 since that way i would have a definite reliable back up to use...
    Good plan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I had a weird Unity/Compiz crash last night where a couple of applications closed, chromium and thunderbird moved to different work spaces, and menu's disappeared. I haven't been able to duplicate it yet, so no bug report.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    You could try a Dual Boot Scenario. For example: I usually Dual Boot 13.04 with Windows 8 RTM (Release to Manufacturing Build).
    +1!

I take multi-booting to extremes:

gparted.jpg

There really is a rhyme to my reasoning. I perform SRU testing, some of which requires testing on bare metal as opposed to a VM, and sometimes I want to test two lateral installs - one with certain PPA's and the other without

But, you should never depend on stability from a testing release. In fact that's more true now than ever because no Alpha discs exist for most of the flavors

Beans
    Distro

Well, i gave it some thought and on wednesday i am going to install 13.04 as a dual boot! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the install will be ok and that things stay smooth until April 25th which at that time i would re-install the final version...

I came to the conclusion (and as you guys here pointed out) that it would be best to keep the 12.10 going with it so that i have a stable back-up in case there are problems...

Hopefully, there won't be...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast