Thread: WiFi issue with Dell XPS 13

Beans

WiFi issue with Dell XPS 13

I've been living with terrible WiFi performance my Dell XPS 13 (Ivy Bridge) for the past few months.
    In November when I purchased the machine everything was ok, however in the middle of December the first visit to a new domain could take up to a few minutes to complete. So I reinstalled 12.10 (including the Project Sputnik PPA) thinking I had messed up some config somewhere.

But the issue persisted.

So last week I did a clean 12.04 install, as it is the only officially supported version of Ubuntu for Project Sputnik. I was delighted that WiFi performance returned to normal, until today.
    Once again it's slowed to a crawl.

Elsewhere other users have blamed bad routers etc for their issues, however if I boot into a live Ubuntu USB the browsing performance is perfect, but once I boot from the hard drive, it slows to a crawl.

I've tried modifing the power management as per Wild Man's instructions but that hasn't helped.

Here's a video clip of how bad the connection is, the left pane is a ping to google.com, the right pane is a ping to the same ip address.
    http://youtu.be/Q3fyRgX31l4
    My issue only seems to occur when using a domain name, requests to ip addresses return instantly. I have noticed some errors in my syslog relating to a SIGTERM for dnsmasq, which may have something to do with this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: WiFi issue with Dell XPS 13

You should copy/paste the ping results here, along with the syslog errors. Have you tried using a different DNS provider?

Beans

Thanks for replying. Here's a link to a copy of my syslog after boot.
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1583859/

Beans

Looks like I caught a break!
    Editing /etc/resolv.conf to use Google's Public Nameservers solved the issue.