Thread: wireless network problem

Beans

wireless network problem

Hello guys.
    I have installed ubuntu 11.10 server edition on an older machine and I want it to connect to the network by wi-fi (LAN is working with no problems). I bought a usb wi-fi card with Ralink module (rt5370sta). There were some problems with installation but thanks to this forum I finally installed it. Now it appears on the list but I do not know how to run this module. I am using command-line only (no gui).
    Thank you for any help
    Here are some outputs from commands:

ifconfig shows details for eth0 and lo.

iwconfig:
    Code:
    lo
    no wireless extensions.

eth0
    no wireless extensions

ra0
    Ralink STA
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0
    lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.
    lsmod
    Code:
    Module: rt5370sta Size: 713680 Used by: 0
    sudo lshw -c network
    Code:
    *- network
    description: Ethernet interface
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: ra0
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=RALINK WLAN multicast=yes
    wireless=Ralink STA
    iwlist scan
    lo,eth0 and ra0 --> Interface doesn't support scanning.

uname -mr
    Code:
    3.0.0-30-generic i586
    Last edited by ariello; January 27th, 2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: wireless network problem

Did you scan as root(sudo)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ariello View Post
    I have installed ubuntu 11.10 server edition on an older machine
    Hi ,
    why you installed Ubuntu 11.10 ?
    Ubuntu 11.10 will reach E.O.L in few months (April) and will not supported anymore.
    Read here about Ubuntu versions:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Can you re-install another version ?

Try Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (support until April 2017) , with newer kernel , newer packages , newer modules.. maybe the wireless will work "out of the box" .

Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS can be found here
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/

Thanks
    # How to mark the Thread as [SOLVED] when done.
    # Ubuntu Greek Community
    # Gain 20GB of space on copy.com when sign up with my referral link.

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu Desktop can be used as a server too, much easier than Ubuntu Server (which is more for big enterprise sites). You might want to try installing Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 or 12.10 and using the GUI to connect to wifi, and then install your server packages.

Unless you want to jump in the deep end and learn without a GUI safety net. Sorry I can't help further.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Thanks for your answers.

frank604: yes, I tried to use all these commands both with sudo and as a root. Some of them did not even run without superuser permissions (if I remember it well).

NikTh: Unfortunately, I cannot use Ubuntu higher than 11.04/11.10 because my spare computer is quite old and does not support new feature which is "PAE" (or something like that, I forgot the proper name). Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 does not even run the installer because of this.

3rdalbum: Unfortunately, I cannot use a gui because this computer has 256mb of RAM and gui works so slow... therefore I wanted to try the server option.

Do you have an idea why in lshw command the wireless network is shown as "DISABLED"?

In the worst case scenario I will stick to the LAN option

Beans
    Distro

Even if you can't scan for a wifi network, you may still be able to join one with the iwconfig command. I'm not near my computer at the moment but you can type 'man iwconfig' to see the various options it takes and how to use it.

Good luck.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

iMac71 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

you might find some help in this tutorial and in its appendix.

Beans

If you are using a Server edition then afaik by default your networking (wired and wireless) will be managed by the older networking service rather than network-manager or wicd

You should be able to bring up a wireless connection just like your wired connection by specifying it in the /etc/network/interfaces file. You will need to add the SSID and credentials there - imho the Debian documentation is a good starting point:

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Command_Line

Start by looking at the current contents of /etc/network/interfaces to confirm that's where your wired LAN connection is configured

Beans

After some reading I have ran it and connected with the network but then there was another problem --> no IP address. After some more reading I sorted out as well. I had to change files "interfaces" and "wpa_supplicant" then use "ifup" then "dhclient" then add lines in interfaces to have it permanently and here we go. Ubuntu server on compaq TC1000 working with no more network errors
    Thanks guys for your replys!
    In total it took me about 5 days hah, but it was worth it!