Thread: Why wont Steam work with Quantal Quetzal 12.10?

Beans

Why wont Steam work with Quantal Quetzal 12.10?

I have Quantal Quetzal 12.10 64-bit and Steam wont install on it, I have the latest steam downloaded from the site but when I try to install it, the Ubuntu Software Center says "Wrong Architecture 'i386'." So what do I do? If I'm not mistaken it's because they don't have it ready for 12.10 yet but I'm not sure that's why I'm asking you guys, so thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Why wont Steam work with Quantal Quetzal 12.10?

They do have a version for 12.10, and it works just fine. The problem here is that they only have a 32-bit version, and I assume you are running a 64-bit Ubuntu. Hence the error about wrong architecture.

Easy thing to solve, though, just install the ia32-libs package.

Beans

I am using Kubuntu 12.10 64-bit and can confirm Steam works fine. Whether its a difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu I don't know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    They do have a version for 12.10, and it works just fine. The problem here is that they only have a 32-bit version, and I assume you are running a 64-bit Ubuntu. Hence the error about wrong architecture.

Easy thing to solve, though, just install the ia32-libs package.
    I tried installing it and it said that it couldn't be installed because it was missing other components.