Thread: Lenovo W530 took a bath

Beans

Lenovo W530 took a bath

Are there any Lenovo guys here?

I have a W530 running ubuntu and last night I spilled soda on it. I took the keyboard out and cleaned it off as best I could, then set it up so it could drain/dry. There was no moisture on the internals, just on the keyboard.

Anyway, I put it back together and it ran fine. Then it magically shut off and now it wont turn on. When I try to turn it on, it has the lenovo load screan and the keyboard turns on and everything lights up but then it shuts off. It will do this with the battery in, but if I take the battery out and only have it plugged in nothing happens.

Process of elimination says the battery is dead and the charger wont charge. Am I right in thinking this? Nothing got on the charger at all so I am curious if it is actually a dead charger. Is there anything I can do to further troubleshoot? Im at a loss here and I really need my computer back up and running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Lenovo W530 took a bath

My old Thinkpad T43p has drain holes. In fact there is a Youtube video showing someone pouring hot coffee into the keyboard and it running out the bottom while the machine is running! Does the W530 not have such a feature?

I'm guessing that some soda got into the rear portion of the motherboard where the power circuitry is located--near the power jack. You can test the power brick with a voltmeter. You should get 16 VDC. Let the machine dry out a few more days. Rest it on a bed of dry rice and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and place in a sunny window. If you see moisture in the plastic wrap, then you know if came out of the machine. Try booting without the battery after this drying procedure. If it boots OK, then plug the battery in and let it charge for a few hours without booting. Then try to boot with the battery by itself (no power cord). If you have issues, then it's possible that the power circuitry on the motherboard is toast and repair is often a new motherboard, because the power electronics are difficult to repair.

While it is drying, take your hard disk out, put it in USB enclosure, and plug it into another machine and start doing a personal data backup.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!

I suspect you may have gotten moisture internally, I did the same thing with water, it worked for a while, but my hard drive failed. When i removed it i saw
    evidence of corrosion and water damage.
    If you are not comfortable with taking the back off and checking for damage,
    i recommend taking it to someone who is.

Just saw tgalati4's post, +1
    Last edited by offgridguy; January 27th, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Beans

Apparently I just didnt have the keyboard in all the way. Did that and it turned right on. Doesnt make sense to me, but Ill take it. W530s do have drains.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have looked at the lenovo advertisement where they pour a pitcher of water on
    the keyboard and it comes out the bottom, very impressive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please mark thread as Solved from Thread Tools to help others. Thanks.