Thread: 3TB Hard drive (wd red) healthy or dead?

Hybrid View

Beans

3TB Hard drive (wd red) healthy or dead?

I have a hard drive that reports 'SMART capable status BAD' at boot. But if I plug in the drive and run an extended smart test, it passed without errors see here

I am unable to see the volumes in Gparted (after plugging them in after OS loaded) but can see them in disk utility. I have been unable to run secure-erase or any formatting operations on them. Is there a clue in that output above? These drives are brand new and were in a software raid array, so whatever happened to the first obviously broke the second (exact same problem)

Stu
    Last edited by sdpagent; January 27th, 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 3TB Hard drive (wd red) healthy or dead?

I would run Boot-Info to gather data about the drive: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info

That should help diagnose the root cause.

Always use parted or gparted with 12.04 or later releases for these large HDDs.

Beans

I am running ubuntu 12.04.
    The devices are not picked up by gparted.
    These drives are just holding data. There is no boot data on them. I boot from a separate drive.

Stu
    Last edited by sdpagent; January 27th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sdpagent View Post
    I am running ubuntu 12.04.
    The devices are not picked up by gparted.
    These drives are just holding data. There is no boot data on them. I boot from a separate drive.
    Understood, but boot-info will dump information about the disk layout and flags too. I thought it would be helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Time to start looking at cables, power connections, etc. It could be the drives just need breaking in.

If the drives are enumerated with

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Then run badblocks on each drive. Capture the output, cut and paste into a notepad.

Code:
    sudo badblocks /dev/sde1
    If you get a lot of badblocks, then run again can mark them as bad in the filesystem:

Code:
    sudo fsck -cc /dev/sde1
    If your drive can't run badblocks, then you really do have a bad drive. Since these drives are new, I would return them. If they are out-of-specification, they will bite you in the future.

Do a search on your particular model number and see if others are having similar problems. Sometimes drive manufactures try to cut costs and use cheaper parts and catfood in their drives.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not know RAID, but you cannot see RAID drives in gparted as it does not handle RAID.

Do not use gparted on RAID.
    http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-res...-software-raid
    Don't bother with RAID 0 unless you have a specific need for speed without data redundancy, since if one drive goes out, you lose the whole array.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
    parted (3.0) completely removes filesystem creation and modification support, except for filesystem probing to determine what's in a partition.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.