Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10.04: Upgrade to Wider Version?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 10.04: Upgrade to Wider Version?

Quote Originally Posted by von Corax View Post
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to set up for 32/64 dual boot?
    Install them on separate partitions and boot into the one you want to use. You should be using 64bit on that machine but understand why you're not.

I would free up some space, 15Gb say, and install the 64bit there. If you have a separate /home partition it can use that and the existing /swap (although that doesn't really matter in the case of /swap as there's no vital info stored there).

Just choose 'Something Else' at the partitioning section of the install and tell it to use those partitions but make sure they are NOT ticked to format.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Nr90 View Post
    Wouldn't the different hardware already screw up that comparison anyway?
    No, because you don't compare speed between different machines; performance comparisons are only valid for the same machine. You can compare performance improvements between machines, though, and you should see roughly the same ratio of improvement on both machines.

The trouble with virtualizing is that it may not be running on the same number of physical cores as virtual cores, which introduces too many variables for accurate comparison.

HilmTye and frank604: We're studying high-performance computing using the Cilk & CilkPlus multithreading compilers, so I'll be pushing this machine as hard as it will let me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Install them on separate partitions and boot into the one you want to use. You should be using 64bit on that machine but understand why you're not.

I would free up some space, 15Gb say, and install the 64bit there. If you have a separate /home partition it can use that and the existing /swap (although that doesn't really matter in the case of /swap as there's no vital info stored there).

Just choose 'Something Else' at the partitioning section of the install and tell it to use those partitions but make sure they are NOT ticked to format.
    Mr. Ball, that's good to hear.

Is it possible to repartition my drive without erasing everything? If so, could you kindly point me toward a howto?

Many thanks,
    von Corax

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, it is. You can boot from a LiveCD so all partitions are unmounted, launch Gparted and away you go.

If you have Windows installed and want to resize that partition, use the Win apps to do that and not Gparted. It can create problems on newer Win versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Is it possible to repartition my drive without erasing everything? If so, could you kindly point me toward a howto?
    Do you have free space on your hard drive?

1) If yes, then you can either add the 64-bit or partition it without wiping out what you have already installed.

2) If no, then you will wipe out what you have on your computer.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, Mr. Ball; I shall investigate in the morning and report back. (I'll leave this thread "unsolved" until then.)

As for space, it's a 1 TB drive, and Nautilus reports 853.5 GB free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

As for space, it's a 1 TB drive, and Nautilus reports 853.5 GB free.
    Before adding the 64-bit, back up your what is currently on the hard drive. There are no 100% guarantees that all will go right.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Before adding the 64-bit, back up your what is currently on the hard drive. There are no 100% guarantees that all will go right.
    Well that should just go without saying. (Even though it rarely does... )

Beans
    Distro

I eventually realized that all the machines I'm likely to use this system on are 64-bit, and since I hadn't really done much with it yet (ie. few app installs, few user files) I'm in the process (as I type this) of wiping the 32-bit install and replacing it with the 64-bit version. (It just took a while to surmount the emotional hurdle of completely discarding the previous install.)

It would have been interesting to set up the 32/64 dual boot, but I have other stuff needs doing right now, so I'm just going to mark this thread solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good work. Enjoy. If your machine is capable of the 64bit install, do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12