Thread: update-apt-xapi

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

update-apt-xapi

freezing:
    this keeps happening to me & I told the software centre etc not to even check for updates, I do it manually on synaptic, but it keeps popping up and freezing my comp.
    Any way to rip this thing out without breaking anything? Even top stops responding so it takes me like a minute to kill it...It's annoying when you're in the middle of something.
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans

Re: update-apt-xapi

If you run
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections
    do you see update-apt-xapi installed? I'm using Lubuntu 12.10 and don't see it.
    Did you, by any chance, install the Ubuntu Software Center?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

nope, it's not listed. But I do have the ubuntu software center in my program list as well as the lubuntu software center and synaptic
    I originally installed ubuntu 12.04 but I didn't like some of the stuff that was packaged with it so I installed some lubuntu bits and pieces, changed to the LXDE and removed the ubuntu stuff I didn't want.

It wasn't supposed to be a permanent set up I was just trying to rescue the encrypted home folder from the last set up when all of my partitions got deleted but now I've got that much data it would be very time consuming to save/move reinstall everything so I've just been trying to patch it up as best I can :S

I do have these:
    Code:
    update-inetd                    install
    update-manager                    install
    update-manager-core                install
    update-notifier                    install
    update-notifier-common
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans

Okay, so you started off with Ubuntu. I got confused and that's why I asked. I had noticed this activity and asked about it here: Is 100% CPU usage harmful while update-apt-xapi runs?.
    Then, based on the responses I got, I just decided to let it get on with its job. Now, of course, it isn't relevant to me because Lubuntu doesn't have it (yet).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by greatsirkain View Post
    nope, it's not listed. ...
    Sorry. I think it's this: apt-xapian-index.

Here's what
    Code:
    apt-get -s install software-center
    would pull in if one tries to go the other way and install it in Lubuntu:
    Code:
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      apt-xapian-index gir1.2-gmenu-3.0 gir1.2-gudev-1.0 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-webkit-3.0 laptop-detect libfile-copy-recursive-perl
      libgeoclue0 libgnome-menu-3-0 libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 libwebkitgtk-3.0-common oneconf python-debtagshw python-dirspec python-gst0.10
      python-oauth python-openssl python-pam python-piston-mini-client python-serial python-twisted-bin python-twisted-core python-twisted-web
      python-ubuntu-sso-client python-xapian python-zope.interface sane-utils sessioninstaller software-center-aptdaemon-plugins ubuntu-sso-client update-inetd
    The list may be longer because I've installed other software on my Lubuntu and so it isn't "vanilla" anymore!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I got impatient and removed ubuntu softwre center and update manager, nothing exploded so I'm thinking it's okay
    when on thin ice; dance