Thread: Trading card games, traditional board and card games

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Trading card games, traditional board and card games

Being a little on the older side (mid 40's) and a former active gamer, I tend to like the collectible or trading card games such as Magic the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh (I got into these when adult life got in the way of RPG's being an appropriate hobby) as well as the classic board and card games such as Chess, Checkers, Pente, Hearts, Backgammon, and Go.

As I tend to have some social anxiety with tendencies to isolate when I am not at work, I have greatly enjoyed the ability to play these on the computer. Since I've moved up to Xubuntu 12.10 on my machine at home they either have to be compatible with Linux, web-based, or Java-based (as these can be run with no problem) or very Wine-friendly.

For MTG (solitary vs AI when I am not playing real-world on the table against my son), my favorites include Magarena and Forge. Both are programmed in Java. For both you have to download card images separately, but that is not a problem as this is done within the program itself (just do it the first time you run them). There have been some great improvements and a vast expansion of available cards in the new versions of Magarena and Forge, and I found another fun Java-based trading card game called Dreamwalker. In terms of online trading card games, I'm playing Elements, Monster Master, and Rolplay.

I do admit also liking the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG and even the Pokemon TCG which I play on the computer using a Gameboy Emulator and ROM's on Ubuntu. I think I would feel, um, funny going to the game store to play against the normal crowd for these games, but they can be fun, short diversions. I like the combination of strategy and luck you can get with CCG's. Any other suggestions for browser (Flash) based, Java based, or native Linux (or Wine friendly) trading card games or traditional board or card games, etc.?

The one benefit of Ubuntu Linux is that there are good choices on classic games which can be run natively - obviously chess, checkers, backgammon, and hearts - but also some less familiar games like Go (although I do need to increase my base knowledge of this game), Mancala, Reversi, Pente, and a great game called Pasang Emas which is a really cool classic abstract strategy game from the island country of Brumei.

I also like Battle for Wesnoth as well as some simple "simulation" games like Dopewars, Project Football, and Bygfoot.

Other suggestions of similar games would be appreciated!

Beans

Re: Trading card games, traditional board and card games

I myself am looking for a Magic esq game. I know they made them for the windows platform but not for our dear penguin. On another note. I do play the real thing too. Magic, Yugioh and the likes. I bet there are games on the open side out there. It's just a case of looking If I find any I will pass them on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm developing a free open source browser based game that's a combination of MTG with Heroes of Might and Magic 3's combat system overall. Version 0.1 was released about a month ago and it still has a long way to go, but feel free to take a look at www.AncientBeast.com
    I've also made a thread about it in this section
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2032245
    AncientBeast.com - My free open source turn based strategy game project! Master your beasts!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Langney View Post
    I myself am looking for a Magic esq game. I know they made them for the windows platform but not for our dear penguin. On another note. I do play the real thing too. Magic, Yugioh and the likes. I bet there are games on the open side out there. It's just a case of looking If I find any I will pass them on
    Magarena and Forge are both good options if you want to play against an AI. They both run in Java so they can run native on your Linux system and they are free.

You can find them at:

http://code.google.com/p/magarena/downloads/list

http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

There are also Magic server programs so you can play against others online and you can find them discussed at slightlymagic.net and some of these will run on Linux systems as well.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Knight View Post
    I'm developing a free open source browser based game that's a combination of MTG with Heroes of Might and Magic 3's combat system overall. Version 0.1 was released about a month ago and it still has a long way to go, but feel free to take a look at www.AncientBeast.com
    I've also made a thread about it in this section
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2032245
    This looks great! I will be checking this out.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to such a project out there!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by davesalyers View Post
    This looks great! I will be checking this out.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to such a project out there!
    Cheers! Keep in mind it's only hotseat for now, so you need someone around that's into this stuff as well to be able to somewhat enjoy it.
    AncientBeast.com - My free open source turn based strategy game project! Master your beasts!