Thread: How to remove rEFInd

Beans

How to remove rEFInd

Hello everyone!

I am a new to Ubuntu (I started to use it a week ago) and also I am not too familiar with EFI UEFI, I have read a little, but I am still not sure of what it is. I have a Macbook 8,2 and managed to install Windows 8 an Ubuntu 12.10 along with Mac OSX, to make my life 'easier' I decided to install 'rEFInd' which technically would allow me to select which operating system to load upon turning my laptop on.

Now I get this:

Four of the options with Tux do not work. Both the only one that works Tux and the Windows one take me to a second menu to select to boot from Ubuntu or Windows 8. Which makes completely pointless having rEFInd, and slightly more annoying.I would rather remove rEFInd and simply boot Ubuntu/Windows using the bootloader provided by Ubuntu.

I alredy tried removing the refind folder from my EFI folder in MacOSX ("\EFI\refind\refind.efi")

I also tried doing THIS using the Terminal in Ubuntu.

but when I do "# efibootmgr -v" I get the following message:

Code:
    Fatal:  Couldn't open either sysfs or procfs directories for accessing EFI variables.
    Try 'modprobe efivars' as root.
    I tried running 'modprobe efivars' in the terminal But it makes no difference. So what could I do to remove rEFInd? (Any OS)

Thank you,
    -Von Kuser
    Last edited by Von Kuser; January 27th, 2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Grammar / Content edit