Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Arch Linux -- My first week

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Arch Linux -- My first week

Holy crap!!!

Compiling and installing ffmpeg using the AUR was simply a breeze!!!
    Edit the config file -- add your codecs -- and boom! -- Done!!

I remember the time this actually took to do in Ubuntu using Andrew46's guide (very comprehensive). Compiling in Arch however was so damn easy it almost felt like cheating!!!

I'm just curious why the apt-get system isn't setup for easy compilation? Maybe I'm just not as experienced enough with other package managers, however using yaourt at least for this task was just plain simple!

Beans

Welcome to Arch. I left Ubuntu for Arch in 2008 and never regretted it...especially now with semi-recent Ubuntu developments that I strongly disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I'm just curious why the apt-get system isn't setup for easy compilation?
    Ubuntu doesn't have a ports-like system. Arch has the advantage of already having a decent repo in addition to the AUR and ABS if you want something that is not in the repo or if you want to monkey around with something.

...using yaourt at least for this task was just plain simple!
    I've never used yaourt. I just choose what I want from AUR, wget the tarball and extract, or make my own PKGBUILD (which is your next objective on this mission), review and possibly edit the PKGBUILD, and then run "makepkg -sif".
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; February 21st, 2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: s/2006/2008

Beans

Compiling and installing ffmpeg using the AUR was simply a breeze!!!
    Edit the config file -- add your codecs -- and boom! -- Done!!

I remember the time this actually took to do in Ubuntu using Andrew46's guide (very comprehensive). Compiling in Arch however was so damn easy it almost felt like cheating!!
    I would like to take credit for the FFmpeg guide but of course that was / is Fakeoutdoorsman's work . You perhaps remember my MPlayer guide that is now unfortunately falling into disuse.

Like FakeOutdoorsman and yourself I no longer use Ubuntu exclusively, my home distro is Slackware -current and here too are found build scripts which make compiling and package management a breeze!
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345