Thread: Network adaptor problem

Beans

Network adaptor problem

So I have an ASUS n13 usb network adapter and just installed ubuntu 12. It worked on windows but when I switched it stopped, is it because I don't have the drivers? It pops up with the networks around me but when I try to connect it infrequently connects then says I am not connected then keeps retrying.

Beans

Re: Network adaptor problem

Yeah, it uses the Realtek 8192CU chipset that is unfortunately SORT OF supported in Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 but doesn't quite work. The usual remedy is to blacklist the existing driver and download/install the latest from Realtek instead.

The driver from Realtek you want is RTL8192CU . See this thread for specific instructions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...56&postcount=2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    Yeah, it uses the Realtek 8192CU chipset that is unfortunately SORT OF supported in Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 but doesn't quite work. The usual remedy is to blacklist the existing driver and download/install the latest from Realtek instead.

The driver from Realtek you want is RTL8192CU . See this thread for specific instructions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...56&postcount=2
    When I try to add files to the blacklist, the blacklist file doesn't exist and it won't let me make one, when I try to install them it says that I have errors. I have compile make driver error 2.

Beans

Are you sure you have the right driver? RTL8192CU ? There are a couple with similar names. If you get the wrong one, it's not goig to build. I have built this driver successfully several times in Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 - pretty sure it still builds easily.

I've never seen a new install of Ubuntu 12.04 that didn't have an existing /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file. The installer seems to blacklist at least a few drivers. Otherwise, you can just create your own. In a terminal type:

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    If that's truly an empty file, copy the lines from my post of instructions into that file and save it. But I truly doubt it's empty.

Beans

Hmmm, I'm still getting the compile make driver error 2, and now ubuntu is saying system program problem detected.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    Are you sure you have the right driver? RTL8192CU ? There are a couple with similar names. If you get the wrong one, it's not goig to build. I have built this driver successfully several times in Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 - pretty sure it still builds easily.

I've never seen a new install of Ubuntu 12.04 that didn't have an existing /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file. The installer seems to blacklist at least a few drivers. Otherwise, you can just create your own. In a terminal type:

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    If that's truly an empty file, copy the lines from my post of instructions into that file and save it. But I truly doubt it's empty.
    Hmmm, I'm still getting the compile make driver error 2, and now ubuntu is saying system program problem detected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hmmm, this is sorta curious. Like ahallubuntu I've installed RealTek's driver in the past. It has worked perfectly. This morning I tried to install on the updated daily of 13.04 and got the error2 message. I assumed it was because of the unfinished nature of the developmental version or the change to the 3.8 kernel. Now I wonder.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Hmmm, this is sorta curious. Like ahallubuntu I've installed RealTek's driver in the past. It has worked perfectly. This morning I tried to install on the updated daily of 13.04 and got the error2 message. I assumed it was because of the unfinished nature of the developmental version or the change to the 3.8 kernel. Now I wonder.
    I'm not surprised it breaks on the new kernel, actually. Realtek does seem to update this driver pretty regularly, though, so I'd expect a fix out fairly soon.