Thread: Brightness function does not work. Always stays at the max

Beans

Cool Brightness function does not work. Always stays at the max

Hello,

I have ubuntu 12.10 on a Gateway Laptop. Intel processor and Intel video chip.

My keyboard's brightness increase/ decrease keys don't have any effect on the brightness. The brightness meter shows that its decreasing and increasing, but the actual brightness remains at the highest level at all time.

Also, i am unable to change the brightness form Brightness and Lock. the Brightness meter there, too, has no affect on the actual brightness.

I have searched through a few threads that see that it is a very very common issue and it can be fixed for most people.

Problem is that I am an very new to the Ubuntu universe and I will need a bit more direction to resolve this issue. I know how to pull up the Terminal. But that's about it.

If anyone could please help me with this issue I will be really grateful. I really want to learn more about this operating system.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Brightness function does not work. Always stays at the max

What model is that Gateway laptop? The steps shown in this article had a Gateway Laptop NV57H resolve this issue. Wouldn't hurt to do the following steps in the guide. http://www.refreshit.info/2012/08/so...-decrease.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Just a small thing but in brightness and lock, did you checkmark the box where it says,
    Dim screen to save power?

Beans

Talking Re: Brightness function does not work. Always stays at the max

Quote Originally Posted by frank604 View Post
    What model is that Gateway laptop? The steps shown in this article had a Gateway Laptop NV57H resolve this issue. Wouldn't hurt to do the following steps in the guide. http://www.refreshit.info/2012/08/so...-decrease.html
    Hi frank604, my laptop model no is NV5103h and the code from that URL, totally worked. Thank you very much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey! great to hear! Mark the topic as [SOLVED] so other users with the same error can fix it the same way Happy Ubuntu-ing.