Thread: Game recorder (Recommendations)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Game recorder (Recommendations)

I record game play on Windows using Fraps for my YouTube channel. I'm looking for a Linux equivalent that will run natively on my Ubuntu install to do much the same.

Something where I can hit a button as start/stop recording. The whole screen is captured and written to the hard drive. Basically much the same functionality of Fraps just for Ubuntu...

Any suggestion?

Ubuntu 12.04 64bit
    PendragonUK
    Middle aged geek, Clan Admin, PC-gamer, Freelance-nerd.
    Twitter

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Game recorder (Recommendations)

Gamecaster, Soul Capture.

Some 2D games, which aren't using opengl you can recording with desktop recorder like vokoscreen, Kaazam.
    Yet another blog about Linux Games..- news, ratings, tutorials and competitions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use ffmpeg, script runs in terminal, minimize, go on about my business, when im ready to end the recording, close the terminal.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

The most technically similar to Fraps is GLC, but it can be finicky to work with. It will probably work, but you'll have to mess with it until you get the right results.
    Here's the site: https://github.com/nullkey/glc/wiki
    Here's a guide I wrote (and others have added to) a while back that might help you get started (there's also an official Wiki that can be helpful): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GLC
    Last edited by doorknob60; January 27th, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD