Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Deskjet 3520 No Print

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

HP Deskjet 3520 No Print

I have recently bought a HP Deskjet 3520 gone through and installed the proper driver but when I try to print it says it's proccessing but nothing happens.

Any suggestions?
    I am running Ubuntu 11.04.
    He who asks is a fool for five seconds, but he who does not ask is a fool forever.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: HP Deskjet 3520 No Print

I have a HP Deskjet 3520 all-in-one. First thing:

Quote Originally Posted by muddpup64 View Post
    I am running Ubuntu 11.04.
    11.04 has been end-of-life (=unsupported) since last October. You'd be better trying to get your printer working in a supported version of Ubuntu.

As far as the latest LTS - 12.04 - is concerned I get the same as you are getting in 11.04, but I haven't investigated this thoroughly yet, mainly because I am using 12.10 routinely, and this HP printer works fine right out of the box in 12.10 and you don't have to install anything - just set up the printer from the Printers utility. The scanner works just fine in 12.10 too.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

11.04 has been end-of-life (=unsupported) since last October. You'd be better trying to get your printer working in a supported version of Ubuntu.
    Yep. Newer versions of Ubu have the updated hplip package installed by default which means your printer should work out of the box. If you want the printer to work with 11.04 then you will need to visit the hplip website and follow the instructions for downloading and installing the latest version of hplip.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mapes12 View Post
    If you want the printer to work with 11.04 then you will need to visit the hplip website and follow the instructions for downloading and installing the latest version of hplip.
    @muddpup64, I've now had a chance to test this in 12.04. The hplip website recommends the same hplip-3.12.11.run package for both 11.04 and 12.04 and both the printer and scanner now work in 12.04 after installing the 3.12.11 drivers. Hplip website:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

You will need to remove your 3520 printer from where you installed it in the GUI printing utility and then re-install it after installing the 3.12.11 drivers.

However, I strongly urge you to upgrade your Ubuntu to either 12.04 or 12.10. Just to be clear, with 12.04 you will need to install the hplip 3.12.11 drivers from the hplip website, but the instructions are straightforward. 12.10 comes with the earlier 3.12.6 drivers but both printing and scanning with the 3520 work just fine without you having to install the later drivers.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yesterday I just installed my new HP 3520 in 12.04.
    I also down loaded hplip-3.12.11.run as the default install was .3 and quite a bit older.

But there were a bunch of missing dependencies which the script automatically downloaded. If you try to install in a version that is not supported, I do not think you will get the dependencies. Some said required & others seemed optional.

So I also encourage you to upgrade.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I went to the ubuntu software center and installed hplip. I got version hplip 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.1, which is much earlier than the version recommended by others in this thread.

When I try to print, according to 'lpq' the print job runs successfully, but nothing comes out of the printer.

I'm running ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

How do I specify exactly which version of hplip I am to get from the Ubuntu software center?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lalawawa View Post
    I'm running ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

How do I specify exactly which version of hplip I am to get from the Ubuntu software center?
    Since you are running 12.04, you need to manually install the later version of hplip downloaded from the website linked earlier in this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Last day or two I had pop-up from HP saying newer version was available. I run this from command line and it updated.
    hp-upgrade

But that was after I had downloaded & installed the version from HP which was a lot newer than the one in the repository so it supported the upgrade. Not sure if old version in repository will work that way or not?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

OK, I went to install the newer version of hplip:

$ sh hplip-3.13.2.run

then it says a lot of stuff, and eventually it says

A package manager '18:26 0:07' appears to be running. Please quit the package manager and press enter to continue (i=ignore, r=retry*, f=force, q=quit) :

I go

$ ps auxww | grep package

and it finds nothing. What is this 'package manager' and how do I turn it off. I tried rebooting, but it seems that a package manager is always there.

-- Bill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

A package manager is either update manager, Synaptic or Software Centre. Close whichever of these is open and the installer should be able to run. It could be update manager doing its periodic routine check for updates without you realising it has opened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast