Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to connect galaxy s3

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Unhappy Unable to connect galaxy s3

Hi there forums,
    Is there any way for me to mount the samsung galaxy s3 phone in ubuntu so I can transfer music? I tried in Rhythmbox but Rhyhmbox crashes when I try to do anything involving the phone.
    Thanks in advance,
    Gary
    Registered Ubuntu user #34794
    Registered Linux user #551518

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Mounting Galaxy s3 in ubuntu (file access)

Ok, I figured it out, so for future finders of this thread, you mount it as stp instead of mtp. Happy days
    Registered Ubuntu user #34794
    Registered Linux user #551518

Beans

Can you please tell us how exactly you did it? I was yet unable to successfully mount my S3 Galaxy.

Beans

i noticed a great guide for doing it on an s2 for android versions past 2.3 that would also have worked for the s3 but i cant seem to find the link :/

Beans

The S2 and S3 are very different. Android Icecream Sandwhich uses a new System of using the RAM. That is also why there is no UMS. MTP and PTP is all there is...

Although I am able to get Access to the Musik folder through PTP mode, Banshee or any other Player won't recognize it as an MP3 player.

There has to be a way for Ubuntu make use of MTP mode...

It is really frustrating having a top notch phone and not being able to put some music on it.

Beans

my s2 has 2.3 installed on it but i was under the impression all the new s2s come with ice cream sandwich

Beans

I would LOVE to know as well. Can some kind soul help us newbies? On my old HTC EVO all I had to do is plug it into ubuntu and up popped a dialog box that let one choose whether to make it only charge, or to let the pc connect to the phone as a USB storage device. Now, I am reading about that way of connecting is gone with the new technology and some people are saying they are use FTP just to transfer photos from phone to laptops. Seems like a royal pain compared to what an older phone can already do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

The "problem" is actually due to Google changing filesystem mounting options with ICS. Previously, up through Gingerbread, you could mount the filesystem as USB Mass Storage -- which, in Linux, gave you complete access to the filesystem. When you connected an Android phone, it popped up a screen with options, one of which let you mount the filesystem as a disk "drive".

With ICS, Google has removed this option -- which is a real PAIN to me, because me S3 spontaneously overheated Friday and thrashed the default thumbnails in the phone filesystem. They are stored in a "hidden" .thumbnails folder -- which I can't access because ICS won't let me see it.

Have heard nothing about this being "fixed" in Jellybean.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

So, I know it's a semi-pain in the ***, but I did it via ES File Explorer. I just shared the drives on my laptop that had the stuff I wanted on it (Music, pictures) and then just transferred everything across the network inside of ES File Explorer. A bit slower but it worked 100% of the time.

Hope this helps.

Beans

So while there seem to be a couple people who know how to exchange files between SGS3 and Ubuntu, nobody has yet shown how to do it.

Could somebody remedy that?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast