Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is Windows faster than Ubuntu on my computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why is Windows faster than Ubuntu on my computer?

It is probably just a difference between dynamic and static linking. Linux does dynamic linking, which does mean slower program startup than static but it saves on RAM and disk space (and download time!). There are also security benefits. One security update in a library will fix all programs that use the library without the program's author having to do anything.

Startup speeds are a little slower with dynamic linking as it must find libraries from different parts of the disk and work out exactly what is needed.

There may be other things you can try so I'll let others make suggestions. I have noticed VLC is more sluggish to start than on previous systems so I wouldn't mind trying something.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; January 27th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Why is Windows faster than Ubuntu on my computer?

How bout bring up "top" (with the always on top option) and watching it as you try various programs. See if it gives any clues.

Code:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123