Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sloppy graphics with fglrx installed

Beans

Re: Sloppy graphics with fglrx installed

Adding debian experimental repo is not a good idea. If you want to build the fglrx legacy driver for ubuntu:

Code:
    cd ~/
    wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/legacy/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs dh-make dkms execstack dh-modaliases linux-headers-generic
    unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    chmod +x amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    sudo amdconfig --initial -f
    If it still doesn't work well after reboot, then maybe you should try a different desktop environment (like lxde).

Beans

It doesn't work before the reboot.
    Code:
    amdconfig: No supported adapters detected
    By the way. the AMD website clearly states that the drivers (13.1, released this month) are for "kernel up to 3.4", while Precise already has kernel 3.50. Could that be the problem? Long term support my ***... although I know it's AMD who screwed the pooch on this one.

Beans

AMD officially supports openSUSE, so as a last-ditch effort, I installed openSUSE 12.1 on the machine. Still doesn't work, same amdconfig error.

Lessons learned: Open source drivers suck, AMD drivers for Linux don't work at all. Therefore, by extension, all Linux sucks because it's impossible to get working drivers with half-decent performance for it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123