Thread: DVD back-up quality not good

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

DVD back-up quality not good

I have tried to back-up my dvd collection so that I can put it all on HDD. I have used K9, Throggon and AcidRip. Each time the quality of the back-up file is good, but not great. It seems to be a bit piculated in places. The original is great when played in the same dvd player.

Has anyone found this before of have any ideas, as if the back-ups are not of good quality, there is no point doing it.
    HP Compaq NC6220 Business Notebook, "Ubuntu 11.04", Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz), 40 GB, 2 x 512 MB

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: DVD back-up quality not good

Strange that you have not tried Handbrake, an excellent DVD ripping program. You should use John Stebbins PPA for Handbrake like this:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install handbrake*
    You can choose either the MP4 or the Matroska (MKV) container. I generally use the latter if I am ripping subtitled materials, but MP4 is more widely supported by notoriously proprietary manufacturers like Sony.

Handbrake uses H.264 encoding and AAC audio by default.

I recommend installing smplayer from the repositories for playback. However your computer's specs are a bit weak for high-quality video performance. Take one of the files you have already created and play it in someone else's computer with more horsepower. Any better? If so, you should consider using something that can create XviD-encoded files in the AVI container. There are Windows programs like AllToAVI for this task, but on Linux I rely on running mencoder from the command prompt as described here.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; February 2nd, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users