Thread: UX31a does not boot from grub rescue

Beans

Angry UX31a does not boot from grub rescue

Hi!
    I'm experiencing trouble to boot my new UX31a. I've installed ubuntu 12.04 (64bit) and it worked fine until I tried to perform a kernel update (which I should not have done). Now, when the computer is switched on, it goes to the grub rescue mode with the following error message:

"error: invalid arch independent ELF magic"

This message also appears when I try to load a module with insmod. I've performed an intensive web search (also in this forum) trying to solve this problem, but with no luck. I've tried to boot from USB, but I get the error "unknown filesystem". Putting an ISO image, or even using unetbootin to create a bootable USB stick leads to the same error message (I've tried different USB sticks with various formats).

Of course I've also tried to follow the howto here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1599293

But even though I'm able to find the location of the grub2 modules, when I try to load some of them, I get again the error "error: invalid arch independent ELF magic"

This is a real pain and I'm kind of desperate, after almost a week of trying without any result . Any help would be greatly appreciated! There is no data I worry about, so any solution which allows me to boot any OS would be great!

Additional info:
    When I've installed ubuntu, the windows recovery partition was overwritten, so there is no comming back to that.
    Last edited by Baumkuchen; January 24th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Beans

To whom it may concern

After some trial and error with unetbootin, I was finally able to solve the problem. My USB stick was recognized as bootable, when I put Kubuntu on it. So I was able to install Kubuntu and don't have to resolve any kernel problems. As a side note, it seems Kubuntu does not run optimally on the UX32a, and since I'm afraid to go back to Ubuntu, I'll probably switch to Mint.

So long, ubuntu forums!