Thread: FTP via command line?

Beans

FTP via command line?

I am new to Ubuntu and in windows I use filezilla to log in to my ftp server. In Ubuntu, i know there is also a filezilla, but i am just curious is there any way to connect to the server via command line?

Thanks

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Re: FTP via command line?

Actually, people have been using FTP on the command line since the beginning. All these Gui tools were built later to make it easier for you.

From the command line, simply type

Code:
    ftp ADDRESS
    where ADDRESS is the ftp site you are trying to get to. You can use "cd" and "ls" to navigate. Use the commands "get" to download a file and "put" to upload.

Personally, even though I am quite comfortable in a terminal, I prefer using the Gui environment for FTP when I can. I do it in Nautilus (the built-in file manager) in Ubuntu. Just connect to an FTP server which will open a folder, then drag and drop to other windows to copy files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    Actually, people have been using FTP on the command line since the beginning. All these Gui tools were built later to make it easier for you.

From the command line, simply type

Code:
    ftp ADDRESS
    where ADDRESS is the ftp site you are trying to get to. You can use "cd" and "ls" to navigate. Use the commands "get" to download a file and "put" to upload.

Personally, even though I am quite comfortable in a terminal, I prefer using the Gui environment for FTP when I can. I do it in Nautilus (the built-in file manager) in Ubuntu. Just connect to an FTP server which will open a folder, then drag and drop to other windows to copy files.
    I tried ftp command .. and find it not working.. is it because the server require username and password?

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

If you're trying to connect to an anonymous FTP server, try the username "anonymous" .

Beans

actually, my question is I have a username and password, but when I try to connect using 'ftp ADDRESS', it doesn't give me the chance to enter my username and password.

I might have been unclear in my previous post.