Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu wireless does not work. Win7 can work

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu wireless does not work. Win7 can work

It is quite a strange situation.

In school, with school wifi, both OS can work pretty well. In hostel, with hostel wifi(seems more unstable), Win7 can still access internet quite easily while ubuntu sometimes cannot access internet. It just cannot connect to the wifi. But there are also times when ubuntu can also connect to the hostel wifi, but most of the time, ubuntu wireless does not work.

My Laptop is Thinkpad e40 0578B32 Ubuntu 12.10

in windows device manager, the wireless adapter shows "11b/g/n wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II" Google tells me it is actually RTL8192SE(If i am not wrong)

I know there should be something more detailed but I am not sure about the command(iwconfig?)

Thank you.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu wireless does not work. Win7 can work

Did you try to update your software on ubuntu? Find the software updater in the menu options of Ubuntu and see if that could help first.

Sometimes just a simple solution is all you need to fix something.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Help develop up in XDA forums at this link here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meteorrock View Post
    Did you try to update your software on ubuntu? Find the software updater in the menu options of Ubuntu and see if that could help first.

Sometimes just a simple solution is all you need to fix something.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Help develop up in XDA forums at this link here.
    I have tried these below

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The problem persists

Beans

Nvm.

Beans

Try the settings in Ubuntu for the wireless in there

Go to systems settings, then network.

This other thread here in the forums could help you get your drivers up and going. Here is the link for that thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2108603
    Last edited by meteorrock; January 26th, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In school, with school wifi, both OS can work pretty well.
    This is key, and should make you happy, cause if it works well in one area, but not in another then your configuration is likely good, and there's something else going on. Unfortunately it's been my experience that intermittent connections are the worst to diagnose and repair, so keep that in mind.

iwconfig will show you information about any wireless networks you're currently connected to, lspci will list all pci devices and should show the realtek card you listed, as well as all other pci devices. Also note that realtek drivers tend to be well supported by ubuntu and linux, with some newer exceptions. Can you take a little walk around the hostel? If you move closer to the router does the connection solidify?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elgordodude View Post
    This is key, and should make you happy, cause if it works well in one area, but not in another then your configuration is likely good, and there's something else going on. Unfortunately it's been my experience that intermittent connections are the worst to diagnose and repair, so keep that in mind.

iwconfig will show you information about any wireless networks you're currently connected to, lspci will list all pci devices and should show the realtek card you listed, as well as all other pci devices. Also note that realtek drivers tend to be well supported by ubuntu and linux, with some newer exceptions. Can you take a little walk around the hostel? If you move closer to the router does the connection solidify?
    The problem is I don't know when it will just die. Like at 2am, when not many people are using it, it works fine.
    does that help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sure, it points to a cheap and/or poor and/or overloaded router. That's fairly common nowadays, but there isn't much anyone can do about it. I would guess that one of two things is going on, First Windows has the exact driver designed for your laptop installed, because it came that way out of the factory, while ubuntu has defauled to a driver that "works". You can check this by running
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    in ubuntu and comparing it to the driver installed in Windows, should be shown in device manager (? could be wrong haven't troubleshot win for awhile now)

OR, ubuntu is running at peak times, and thus falling off the grid while win is running late night. Best way to check this is to switch rapidly from one OS to the other 3 or 4 times and see if there's a noticeable difference in connectivity, if there is see option 1 and post, else, your configuration is okay, but you can tell the landlord to buy some decent kit

Beans

Just not I tried Ubuntu, it is not working. I switched back to Win now, and so I can post... The 'OR' option is eliminated. now i shall try to see the result of lshw..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elgordodude View Post
    Sure, it points to a cheap and/or poor and/or overloaded router. That's fairly common nowadays, but there isn't much anyone can do about it. I would guess that one of two things is going on, First Windows has the exact driver designed for your laptop installed, because it came that way out of the factory, while ubuntu has defauled to a driver that "works". You can check this by running
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    in ubuntu and comparing it to the driver installed in Windows, should be shown in device manager (? could be wrong haven't troubleshot win for awhile now)

OR, ubuntu is running at peak times, and thus falling off the grid while win is running late night. Best way to check this is to switch rapidly from one OS to the other 3 or 4 times and see if there's a noticeable difference in connectivity, if there is see option 1 and post, else, your configuration is okay, but you can tell the landlord to buy some decent kit
    In Ubuntu, it tells that my wireless card is "product: RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller" but in windows it is rtl8192se

Actually I have thought of the driver problem and downloaded a driver (.tar.gz) from RTL website. But I seem to encounter problems when I "make install"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast