Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nvidia-Current Low Resolution and No Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Nvidia-Current Low Resolution and No Unity

Hi!, amtur_poet,

I suggest you delete the /etc/grub.d file that blacklists nouveau, and check that there is no other file doing the same, nor an entry in blacklist,conf. Then reboot and see what the result is without installing an nvidia driver.

If you already have one installed, first use 'sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-package-name'.

Should that not give you a use-able GUI then I can only repeat my previous suggestion that you revert to 12.04.1 or 12.04.2.

Plus, of course, on the 25th, 13.04 is released and I gather it has a lot of improvements, especially for the more recent video cards. though I have not yet tried it myself.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

When I had this problem, installing Nvidia-173 fixed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

First; I'm not using Nvidea. But I am using ATI/AMD FGLRX. What I found when I installed two monitors is that System Settings, Displays, changed which monitor is used for the launcher placement. This happened when I plugged a second montor in and unchecked mirror displays. I don't know what other actions might cause this behavior, but if unity icons are missing I would check System Settings, Displays, and double check that launcher placement points to the display you are using.

For me, when I plugged in a second monitor, I got an error that the virtual size exceeds the available size. If I unchecked mirror displays, then I lost the unity icons and dash home. I believe that both monitors were mirrored and that the unity launcher placement was pointing to the unused monitor output.

Your Nvidea issue might not have anything to do with this. But I thought it might and you can easily check by bringing up System Settings, Displays, and see if anything looks wrong. I would select the option to place the launcher on all displays... Its a long shot.

Beans

Recently there was some upgrade to some component (read the following bug) which caused Unity to lose its tool bar and the top panel of the display.

When you see this your display is also in a lower text mode. I think it only happens with Nvidia cards.

There is a workaround but be aware at least for me the work-around is not permanent in that after multiple reboots i see the problem again and have to do the 1 line command fix again.

Try the following for this bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...z/+bug/1166765

temp fix:
    gsettings reset org.compiz.core:/org/compiz/profiles/unity/plugins/core/ active-plugins"]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/1166765[/URL]

The temp fix requires you open a terminal. If on the broken desktop you do see you don't have a terminal icon then just press <ctrl> <alt> <F1> to get to a terminal... enter the following command... then you might want to reboot.:
    to fix enter:
    $ sudo gsettings reset org.compiz.core:/org/compiz/profiles/unity/plugins/core/ active-plugins
    $ sudo shutdown -r now

see if your desktop isn't fixed then.

Beans

You might try removing the Nouveau driver before re-installing the Nvidia current driver. Having two video drivers seems th confuse the hardware somtimes.

Beans

this is may be because of improper default graphics or video settings in you pc.
    check this article it may be helpful to you in resolving the problem -- ubuntu dash home crash solved
    Last edited by mohanzeal; June 10th, 2013 at 03:16 PM.

Beans

check this out to solve the problem ubuntu dash home crash solved cheers if your problem is solved

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456