Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kim Dotcoms MEGA?

Beans

Re: Kim Dotcoms MEGA?

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    I looked at the free option, but I couldn't find where the signup form said what I would be signing up for. It also didn't seem to say which would be the username or login. When you signed up, did you find any info like that? Can you post a link? 50GB for free is nothing to turn down if there aren't any hidden gotchas.
    use https
    https://www.mega.co.nz/
    register new a/c

I think login is necesarily your email addr. (dont use a hotmail they are getting 'lost')
    Note that at present I think you cannot change the password later (unless you do something like nuke the data too) and your password is somehow integrated into the encryption too, as is entropy from mouse cursor when creating your encryption key (I am novice in this), so take it for the longterm.

Firefox works it seems, at least subsequent to registration, but chrome is required for the stuff like upload folder (not just files) etc etc.

Mega is a fast and furious at present. The FAQ might help, or just internet search. Kim has given a number of interviews. Enjoy

Beans

Subsequent comments:
    (Apologies for my wrongly typing swap rather than memory)
    I let the single large file upload continue and took a few screenshots as time passed. The upload speed was very good, only limited by my broadband.
    The browser (google chrome) again crashed at a time when the memory was over 50%, not sure of the exact point.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    I looked at the free option, but I couldn't find where the signup form said what I would be signing up for. It also didn't seem to say which would be the username or login. When you signed up, did you find any info like that? Can you post a link? 50GB for free is nothing to turn down if there aren't any hidden gotchas.
    I read about the 50GB from this article (http://news.yahoo.com/everything-kno...174018641.html) I was unable to find any info on the site itself however...

Last edited by sffvba[e0rt; January 27th, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

here are screenshots showing the pricing, i have not found a bandwidth limit for the free account yet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    here are screenshots showing the pricing, i have not found a bandwidth limit for the free account yet
    lol, have a look at the second picture... 0GB of 50GB used
    Never mind, I read wrong...

Beans

I later tried using firefox (not google chrome), which allows upload of a file, in my test here I use a single large file. All seemed to go well initially. Good upload speed, and as far as I could see, the memory use remained low, and there was no sign that it increased with time at least in the first 30 minutes or so. I left it overnight, to test the predicted 7 hours period suggested for the upload.
    in the morning the progress bar was indicating only 8%, the upload speed was a consitent high value. However, the system monitor indicated 'Total Sent' as 6.9GB and I recall it was around 3GB last night. I conclude that in this test, upload may have got almost completed yet the file somehow did not get fully taken at the server end (? novice talking here). Anyway I was not watching at the time.

I will do some more tests when I can.
    MEGA does seem though to work well, and fast for smaller files and bunches of files.

Beans
    Hidden!

They need work on the client side, I am sure in time it will improve drastically...

Beans
    Hidden!

adrive gives 50gb free
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

I signed up for MEGA, but got no email so cant confirm account.
    How long does it take?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    I signed up for MEGA, but got no email so cant confirm account.
    How long does it take?
    For me it was quick, minutes, in a lull during the initial gold rush panic. Since then they have re balanced. They are now aware that some email srevices dump the return emails from looking too much like spam, so worth double check on that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast