Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 EXACTLY like 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking How to make ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 EXACTLY like 10.04

Hey folks

I managed to do what others only dreamt about I have taught my 11.10 to behave exactly like my good ol 10.04. You can now forget about the mess of Unity and Gnome Shell. Good ol classic gnome2 experience comming at ya, using gnome3 internals. This is how I did it, full comprehensive guide on my blog:

Making Ubuntu 11.10 and Ubuntu 12.04 behave like Ubuntu 10.04

http://PleasantHacking.com/2012/01/02/making-ubuntu-11-10-and-12-04-behave-like-10-04/

[IMG]http://pleasanthacking.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/screenshot-at-2012-01-02-043519-4wordpress.png

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by overdrank; January 2nd, 2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: please use thumbnails

Beans

Re: How to make ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 EXACTLY like 10.04

Very cool!

Thank you for all your effort! Ill be trying this soon.

BTW ---->

http://youtu.be/opsM3znflVw

Beans
    Hidden!

Whilst I applaud your wish to move away from unity and all its problems, which I also find totally unusable, I have been led to understand that the gnome-session-fallback package, on which your ideas are based, is unlikely to remain available in the long term, perhaps not even for 12.04. Do you have any other information on the long term situation for gnome-session-fallback?

I hope I have have got this wrong, and that it, or something else very similar to it, will remain a possible answer for those of us who love gnome, but are baffled by the unity/gnome-shell desktops. If not I suppose it will mean a move to xfce, lxde, or even back to kde, which is where my linux story began, and before I even knew there were alternative DEs available.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Glad you liked it I'm sure many more will do as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think removing gnome-classic from ubuntu would be a silliest thing to do.

That package is backed by the Gnome3 team itself.
    That package is in active development and uses gnome3 technology.
    That package makes more good than bad, and people are actively supporting it with making new applets for it, to make gnome2 workflow alive

So i think its worthwhile to support this idea

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kangarooks View Post
    I think removing gnome-classic from ubuntu would be a silliest thing to do.

That package is backed by the Gnome3 team itself.
    That package is in active development and uses gnome3 technology.
    That package makes more good than bad, and people are actively supporting it with making new applets for it, to make gnome2 workflow alive

So i think its worthwhile to support this idea
    I hope you are right about this. Things may have moved on since I read that the fallback package was a temporary arrangement, and if it stays available it will save a large number of users from abandoning gnome completely.

Thanks for the update!
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

I already moved to xubuntu & now i've moved to openbox+cairo compmgr & cairo dock
    have way much less resource used & more free drive space due to less libs for gnome etc

With all the options available to the linux user regardless of distro in use i find it pointless trying to battle to get the gnome you want.

Saying that i am keeping the mint dev fork of gnome2 in my peripheral vision just in case

i just cant stand unity/Gshell to me that kinda DE is perfect for a tablet but for a workstation is just horrid

IMO that is
    If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!!
    AMD Athlon64 X2(4200)/6Gb/Nvidia 9400GT-1Gb/1.25Tb Arch Linux - Xfce

Beans

It would be great if Gnome could swallow their pride and continue to develop the classic style desktop alongside the shell. There does not seem to be a reason why this can't be done. For this user the shell just doesn't cut it as a desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I have been led to understand that the gnome-session-fallback package, on which your ideas are based, is unlikely to remain available in the long term, perhaps not even for 12.04. Do you have any other information on the long term situation for gnome-session-fallback?
    "There are no plans to remove gnome-session-fallback for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, so if you use the GNOME Classic session type in Ubuntu 11.10, there is no reason to think you will not be able to use it in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS either. Currently, this release is in alpha testing. gnome-session-fallback can be installed in Precise systems, and if you have an Oneiric system with it installed, it remains installed when you upgrade to the Precise alpha. If GNOME Classic is the default session type in an Oneiric system (either globally or for some user), it remains so when that system is upgraded to the Precise alpha."

From here.

And did you see the Gnome Classic Mega Thread? You might want to add your blog link to the thread if you haven't already.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tomski View Post
    I already moved to xubuntu & now i've moved to openbox+cairo compmgr & cairo dock
    have way much less resource used & more free drive space due to less libs for gnome etc

With all the options available to the linux user regardless of distro in use i find it pointless trying to battle to get the gnome you want.

Saying that i am keeping the mint dev fork of gnome2 in my peripheral vision just in case

i just cant stand unity/Gshell to me that kinda DE is perfect for a tablet but for a workstation is just horrid

IMO that is
    Each to their own

I like things as COTS / stock as I can, especially now so I dont have to engage with puters much but get on with my life into a Remedial Masseur course. And i really liked my gnome2 workflow, so after half day of tweaks I came up with something that met my needs, that is based on actively supported system, and I chose to share it with others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast