Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Compatibility

Beans

Question Website Compatibility

Hello, I switched from Chrome O.S to ChrUbuntu last night! I'm really excited to see what this can do, but for me to depend fully on the O.S, I need to be able to do my homework with it. That's the problem, the homework website isn't compatible with my O.S or Browser version. Any idea on what can I do to use this website?
    Here's a picture of what the website tells me as soon as I reach it, and it doesn't let me log in. I am sorry that it's so big, I forgot how to make links smaller
    http://i.imgur.com/eTQ8M0S.png
    Last edited by not found; January 25th, 2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: please use thumbnails

Re: Website Compatibility

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

PS - Please thumbnails for big images.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I guess you could mess with the useragent of firefox, but I have a feeling they only put that message there because they haven't tested the site with the newer browsers. However, you would need to talk to their IT or support people to verify.

Advising someone to not be running the latest version of their browser is a mistake and can cause issues due to security patches not being applied to the older browser.

What errors does it give you when you try to login?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In Firefox, you can install the User Agent Switcher add-on to make the browser "lie" about itself. You can select which user-agent header the browser sends. Often this resolves problems with brain-dead websites that do not know how to handle Linux browsers or expect everyone to be using Internet Explorer.

I don't know how this problem is handled in other browsers like Chrome.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Looks like Chrome has it builtin since Chrome 17, at least according to here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/113439/how-...ny-extensions/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As others have said, user agent switcher for FF or Chrome ftw.

Beans

The error it gives me, is saying that I might have confused something in my login....needless to say I don't confuse my login, I try with a p.c it works, I try with my chromebook, it doesn't..I'l try the user-agent and see what happens. Thanks for everything so far

Beans

Btw guys, it's not working, maybe the error it's not related to the browser, but to the O.S? idk..

Beans

I installed adobe reader and updated java...nothing. I used to get this with Chrome O.S so I think it might be the O.S fault, but still.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I guess you could mess with the useragent of firefox, but I have a feeling they only put that message there because they haven't tested the site with the newer browsers. However, you would need to talk to their IT or support people to verify.
    Do this ^. Talk to the support staff for you school and see if they have any ideas of a way around the error message.

As a sidenote: I hate websites that depend on a certain version of a browser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast