Thread: yahoo not working under ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question yahoo not working under ubuntu

Hello,
    my yahoo mail account doesn't send out e-mails under ubuntu - I tried with two different computers under ubuntu, same problem. I can receive and read mails, but I can't write or send any. It opens, but then blocks, and I can't write in the fields. And I can't even close those mails, that's blocked too.
    I tried from a friend's windows computer, no problem (except, boy was that a slow computer! )
    Anybody else having this problem? I have it since last week.
    Yes, I tried my broadband line. We even had a technician in. It aparently isn't that.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Lila

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: yahoo not working under ubuntu

Do you access mail via a web browser or have you added the account to Thunderbird ? I have read about messenger problems but none with email.

If using the web browser, do you have any script blocking add-ons ?
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

I use it under firefox. I use adblock plus and ghostery, but never had problems before.

When I try to respond to a mail, it opens a window and says "yahoo is trying to retrieve the original message, please wait" (in French), and then after a few seconds, "unable to retrieve the original message, please try again later".
    If I try to write a fresh mail (without responding to an existing one), it opens one, but in both cases, I can't write in it, neither in the text field, nor in the adress or "sujet" (in English theme? object? re.) field.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have not had problems with Gostery or Adblock either but you may want disable them restart the browser and try again. If you add the account to Thunderbird and it works at least you will know if it is browser related.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I have not had problems with Gostery or Adblock either but you may want disable them restart the browser and try again. If you add the account to Thunderbird and it works at least you will know if it is browser related.
    Hm. I'll try that. I don't use thunderbird at all, nor evolution. I prefer remebering my passwords for when I'm not at home... So I've never set it up. I'll see how that goes, I hope it's self-explanatory...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lila View Post
    Hm. I'll try that. I don't use thunderbird at all, nor evolution. I prefer remebering my passwords for when I'm not at home... So I've never set it up. I'll see how that goes, I hope it's self-explanatory...
    I tried the adblock and ghostery swith-off first. It works! Then I tried just leaving one or the other on, and it still works. Then I tried leaving both on, and rather bizarrly it still works... I don't understand why, but the problem seems solved... I suppose that comes under the category of "miracles of modern technology".
    Thanks!
    Lila

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by lila View Post
    I use it under firefox. I use adblock plus and ghostery, but never had problems before.

When I try to respond to a mail, it opens a window and says "yahoo is trying to retrieve the original message, please wait" (in French)
    I am using Yahoo mail using the browser client with firefox. No problems in Ubuntu, so I can't help except to say that this is unlikely to be an Ubuntu-specific problem.

EDIT: you posted just at the same time and you seem to have solved the issue. Good luck!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.