Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alphabetical Keyboard

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Alphabetical Keyboard

I work in China, teaching teachers to teach. One little niggling problem has always been getting younger students to do much with computers. There's plenty of software that could be used, but the niggle is the keyboard. Nearly all the systems here come with a bog-standard 'us' QWERTY keyboard, and use an IM to make Chinese characters... So writing in English (the goal) is not a hardware problem per se.

Well, the trouble is it's really a challenge to get children to understand why the 'English' alphabet they have just spent so much time learning is all jumbled up on the keyboard.

My solution was to get a cheap keyboard, prise the letter caps off with a couple of spoons, then re-arrange them in alphabetic order.

The QWERTY keyboard has a PS/2 connector, the ALPHA is USB, so I just leave them both plugged up all the time.

Then I simply made a couple of launchers on my worstation to choose the desired layout.

The launchers do this:

Alpha:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/alpha /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us
    QWERTY:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/qwerty /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us
    Have a look at /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us and you can see how I did it.

On my little Hasee netbook I use for teaching, I did the same swapping around of key caps, but it has the 'us' keyboard just mapped for Alpha.

It works out pretty well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by docbear; January 25th, 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Clarity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Alphabetical Keyboard

Moved to the community cafe.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does this work in the sense that the students learn to type English words at a reasonable speed?

Do you tell them of the problems they will have if they come to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, or USA to study or work?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It does get them making words rather quickly. They learn 'keyboard' later on (in high school).

Not sure what the long-term is? Will it interfere with later learning?

Don't know, but it gets them using the early learning software right away.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

probally should tell them the keybord is arranged like that based on most commonly used keys, and give them the option of using the "us" keyboard
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by docbear View Post
    Not sure what the long-term is? Will it interfere with later learning?
    They'll have to relearn their muscle-memory later, yes. Since this is inevitable, I would be inclined to just make them do it right from the start. Instead of having to climb the learning curve twice they'll only do it once.

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    probally should tell them the keybord is arranged like that based on most commonly used keys
    The QWERTY layout was designed so that the arms of a manual typewriter wouldn't jam. Essentially the most used keys were arranged to be as far apart from each other as possible, not where they were the most comfortable for the user.

Now that we don't use manual typewriters the only reason we use QWERTY is because everybody is used to it. There are alternative key layouts that are supposed to be better, but won't ever see widespread adoption.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Indeed, and the Chinese keyboard also has the western letters arranged in the qwerty fashion, so its better to leave the layout alone...

The only explanation needed is the truth: "qwerty" was designed to reduce jamming in mechanical typewriter machines, a historical reason.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans

Just tell em in the real world outside your class,the keyboards will have the western letters arranged in the qwerty fashion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

probally should tell them the keybord is arranged like that based on most commonly used keys
    No it is not. The qwerty keyboard is based on slowing you up, so your fingers did not go to fast because in old typewriters the keys could get jammed if you went too fast.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    No it is not. The qwerty keyboard is based on slowing you up, so your fingers did not go to fast because in old typewriters the keys could get jammed if you went too fast.
    Actually it's the opposite; the qwerty arrangement was intended to allow you go as fast as possible on a manual typewriter.

The idea was that when typing in English the typist was more likely to strike keys from opposite sides of the keyboard alternately, meaning the arms were less likely to clash and interrupt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast