Thread: setup smb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

setup smb

Hello
    I have a xbmc-buntu; that I use as my primary media center.
    In the past I have succeeded in sharing files with my Win7 machine.

After a re-install I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Eventually I've managed to get one of both shares working, though not as I'd like:
    * one share should point to the user file and be read only without password
    * one share should point to the whole system and be read/write with a password.

Furthermore; it seems it's now impossible to go to the shares using \\hostname. I must use the IP adress.

Any help on how to get this right? I've tried a lot of different configurations (first manually and then using SWAT) but none really worked.
    I've read what I could but I don't intend to be an expert on the field (I'm trying to just get it to work).

smb.conf > http://pastebin.com/Y2jKweDF

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: setup smb

I use mythbuntu and find it is something to do with windows.

I had to clean up my windows 7 network stuff and the connection to both my myth boxes disappeared from network media devices (av extenders).

I removed all information from my windows box in the registry by hand (for both myth boxes).

It has found one of them so I can play recorded tv from that box in windows media player but the main backend still just shows up as a network computer. It took several days for the first box to show up so I am hoping the second one will shortly be correctly shown.

There is no configuration difference between my 2 myth boxes so it has to be the windows box that is the issue. This maybe the same for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: setup smb

the first part is just me being clueless.

the second part must be my config:
    it worked in the past, but i reinstalled xbmcbuntu; android, ios, windows all can connect on hostname to eachother; except the xbmc-box. and I've been mucking with it quite much (generally, the more I touch it, the harder it gets to fix).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Re: setup smb

If someone still reads my thread, is it badly asked, or is the question difficult to answer?