Thread: [12.04 x64] Hard Disk Space fills up IMMIDATELY! URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation [12.04 x64] Hard Disk Space fills up IMMIDATELY! URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Like the title says; As soon as I delete something (from my filesystem, home folder or any folder for that matter), the space immidately gets filled with data and my availble/free disk space goes back to 0 bytes IMMIDATELY!!

When I run Disk Usage Analyzer, it says:
    Total Filesystem capacity: 620.6gb (used: 497.4 GB available: 123.3 GB)
    But if I run 'df' in terminal:
    Code:
    Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb6      313048792 297146792         0 100% /
    udev             2015468        12   2015456   1% /dev
    tmpfs             809712      1388    808324   1% /run
    none                5120         0      5120   0% /run/lock
    none             2024272       476   2023796   1% /run/shm
    /dev/sdc1           2000       272      1628  15% /media/9bc0df1b-5af6-41b2-a7a3-04fe1bc5b0b2
    /dev/sdb2      292968744 188550132 104418612  65% /media/0EE20075E2006377
    (/dev/sdb2/ is Windows 7 partition | /dev/sdb6 is Ubuntu 12.04)

I have deleted the ~/.xsession-error file (was close to 200gb), and created an ~/.xsession-error/ folder so that isnt what is taking up space. Its working as planned, and consistant at 0bytes.

I have ran in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove && apt-get autoclean && apt-get clean
    to remove unwanted packages, old files, and the apt-get cache - still no luck.

I have ran Computer Janitor, the list is clear - nothing left to remove.

I have deleted all the files & folders in ~/tmp/ - no help...

I have gone through the ~/.cache/ folder and deleted any programs that no longer exist.

I installed and ran (as root) bleachbit TWICE, again not helping.. whatever space gets opened up - it immidately gets filled back in with something!

Disk Usage Analyzer is no help, it shows which folders are taking up the most space, but obviously the /home/ folder is at the top.. I have already gone through the hidden files/folders in the /home/ and deleted unwanted/large files.

I cant figure out WTF is running in the background that is taking up so much freaking space! I was going to just say F it and fresh install; but i cant even keep enough space open long enough to download the fresh install file off of ubuntu.com

Can someone throw me a bone here and help! I dont know what else I can do... im loosing my mind here!
    Last edited by ksaul; February 1st, 2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: [12.04 x64] Hard Disk Space fills up IMMIDATELY! URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by ksaul View Post
    I have deleted the ~/.xsession-error file (was close to 200gb), and created an ~/.xsession-error/ folder so that isnt what is taking up space. Its working as planned, and consistant at 0bytes.
    Your .xsession-error log was definitely the cause of your problem, it shouldn't be larger than a few kB. You replaced it with a directory, which is an interesting hack but didn't solve your problem, so I think the errors are now stored somewhere else or every time your system is unable to write to your .xsession-error it logs an entry somewhere in /var/log. Those logs are filling up your disk space.

There is a way to prevent log files from growing too large (forgot how, I hope someone else remembers), but the best way is of course finding a way to generate less errors. Find out which logs are filling your disk and then look for repeating error messages. Post them here if you like, it should give us a clue about which program generates those errors.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would look into the logs to see if some error is a run away and continuously filling a log file.

cd / or cd /home
    sudo du -hc --max-depth=1
    Shows just /
    sudo du -hx --max-depth=1 / 2> /dev/null
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Had the same problem and it kept getting worse. If you follow the below, remember to reboot to free the existing file.

Disk kept getting full every few days - 33gigs get chewed up in less than an hour.

turned out to be ~/.xsession-errors file

What I did:
    rm ~/.xsession-errors
    ln -s /dev/null ~/.xsession-errors

http://askubuntu.com/questions/17705...can-i-disable:

There is a file called /etc/X11/Xsession. Which will create the symlink to a tmp file. IE. Starts on line number 61

ERRFILE=$HOME/.xsession-errors

# attempt to create an error file; abort if we cannot
    if (umask 077 && touch "$ERRFILE") 2> /dev/null && [ -w "$ERRFILE" ] &&
    [ ! -L "$ERRFILE" ]; then
    chmod 600 "$ERRFILE"
    elif ERRFILE=$(tempfile 2> /dev/null); then
    if ! ln -sf "$ERRFILE" "${TMPDIR:=/tmp}/xsession-$USER"; then
    message "warning: unable to symlink \"$TMPDIR/xsession-$USER\" to" \
    "\"$ERRFILE\"; look for session log/errors in" \
    "\"$TMPDIR/xsession-$USER\"."
    fi
    else
    errormsg "unable to create X session log/error file; aborting."
    fi
    You can cp this Xsession file to Xsession.bak. Then go a head and point your ERRFILE to /dev/null IE. Line 83

exec >> /dev/null 2>&1

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i've seen this issue multiple times now, is there a bug filed so that .xsession-error file doesn't get to be SEVERAL HUNDRED GIGABYTES? People were posting their files size like a competition, one was 600+ GIGABYTES. that's just absurd, hopefully canonical will patch this or something.