Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Persistent USB on windows 7 UEFI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Persistent USB on windows 7 UEFI

Hi ..

I love this info you have provided because I have been having troubles making a persistent LiveUSB with the various LiveUSB programs. The 'live' option works, but none of them are persistent. So your suggestion of making up a LiveUSB from within Ubuntu sounded perfect.

But... it's not working

I am using the latest Ubuntu 13.04 desktop iso, so I don't know if that's making a difference? I am running it from the liveUSB that I have made (that is not persistent) and I am making another LiveUSB from within Ubuntu on another flash drive.

Anyway, I am using a 16G usb flash drive for the new LiveUSB. I erased everything on it and set up the partitions as per your instructions. ...all good

You then wrote to 'unmount and re-mount' flash drive, which I did, but I couldn't create the startup disk due to an error. I unmounted the flash drive and was able to create the startup disk. ...all good

Now, you then write "go to the root folder of the LiveUSB, and enter the syslinux directory (or root directory)". Problem is that neither of these exist! ...subsequently, there also is no syslinux.cfg file (that I can find).

After some brief reading it seems that grub is used instead of syslinux (there is a 'grub' directory in the 'boot' directory of the new LiveUSB), so I'm unsure of what to do and hoping you (or somebody) might be able to help please?

I did try changing the 'grub.cfg' contents what you suggested for the syslinux.cfg file, but it didn't work. (actually wasn't expecting it to, but thought I'd give it a try anyway).

I would really love to get this working, so I'm hoping you might be able to clarify or offer some suggestions.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, my previous reply was related specifically to C.S.Cameron's earlier post (quoted below) ...

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    The above is getting a little dated, following is an update:

Boot Live CD or Live USB.
    Plug in flash drive.
    Start Partition Editor.
    Create 2 GB FAT32 partition, (on the left side of the bar). (size is optional, extra space can be used for file storage and transfer to Windows machines).
    Create a 4 GB ext2 partition to the right of this, labeled it "casper-rw". (ext3 and ext4 also work).
    Create a partition in the remaining space and label it "home-rw". (optional, creates a separate home partition)
    Close Partition Editor.
    Un-mount and re-mount flash drive.
    Start "Create a live usb startup disk", (usb-creator).
    Select "Discard on shutdown".
    Press "Make Startup Disk.
    When usb-creator finishes, Go to the root folder of your Live USB
    Enter the syslinux directory, (or for UNetbootin the root directory).
    Make the syslinux.cfg file writeable
    Replace the contents of the file syslinux.cfg with:
    Code:
        default persistent
        label persistent
          say Booting a persistent Ubuntu session...
          kernel /casper/vmlinuz
          append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash noprompt --
    Shutdown, remove CD, reboot.

First time booting go to users and groups and create an account with yourself up as an Administrator, with password if desired.

Note:
    The above code will bypass the Try/Install and Language screens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is this with a BIOS or UEFI system?
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

With regard to creating the startup disk from Ubuntu, I'm not sure what relevance that has? My question related to the instructions set out by C.S.Cameron for creating the startup USB from within Ubuntu. I hadn't got as far as booting my computer with it yet.

Apart from that, I'm not really sure how to answer your question?

I am able to enter what looks like BIOS settings when I boot my computer (by perssing F2 on Windows 8 machine, and it stated 'SAMSUNG BIOS SETUP' at the tope of the screen).
    It has 'secure boot' option and refers to 'UEFI: Hitachi ..." hard drive in the startup/boot order

Has that given you the information you were after?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have Windows 8 and secure boot with UEFI booting is a lot different. But creating flash drive should not be. Please start a new thread as UEFI booting is a lot different and is just about unique for everyone. Post vendor & model of system and if UltraBook as that adds to the issues.

Also instructions for DVD or USB
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Write image or burn image not copy ISO as one large file to flash or DVD.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...-cd-on-windows
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Ublondie:

Did you use Startup Disk Creator, (USB Creator), to make the first Live USB? then Startup Disk Creator from within the first USB to make the second?
    Does the second drive boot OK and run persistently except for the Try/Install screen?

I just tried the above instructions using 13.04 and here in a screen shot of the directories created by Startup Disk Creator and of the location of syslinux.cfg inside syslinux folder.

Cork
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@C.S.Cameron
    I do not have UEFI yet, but if Windows 8 pre-installed system is using UEFI with gpt partitioning. You then have the added choice of booting flash drive in BIOS mode or UEFI mode, or UEFI mode with secure boot. The UEFI modes use the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file to boot. So it depends on how booting flash drive on which configuration file is used.

Beans
    Distro

Hi ...and thank you for replying.

OK, I have since tried going through the instructions again (a few times actually) and it is working fine except the persistent feature is still not working.

I have been able to follow your instructions and yes, I am using the Startup Disk Creator from within Ubuntu. ...i have been interchanging two 16G USB flash drives I have. For information, I make up the 2G FAT32 partition, and then I use the remainder of the drive (12G) to make up an ext4 partition for casper-rw.

I've just seen (from your next reply) that you don't have UEFI, so I guess that could be throwing a spanner in the works, like oldfred is suggesting? I have disabled what's called 'Fast Startup' in the BIOS and I have turned Secure Boot off (it was previously enabled, but hasn't made any difference).

I have a couple of questions:
    - Would it matter that the casper-rw partition is larger than 4G? (I'm expecing not, but just wanted to check)
    - the instructions state to 'make syslinux.cfg writable'. What exactly does that mean? ...the file has permissions of: -rw-r--r-- I tried changing permissions through terminal using: sudo chmod but I couldn't make any changes. (I tried 666 and even 777 ie, sudo chmod 666 syslinux.cfg). I was however able to change the contents of the file using gedit.
    - when I first boot from the drive, I go to make the administrator account, but it states 'account disabled' unless I make up a password. ...minor issue.

Regardless of all that, the liveUSB's work fine, except the persistent feature is still not working

The boot process also doesn't sound like what you suggest it would (should) be? ...when it starts, I get the usual 4 options: [abbreviated] Try Ubuntu, Install, OEM install, check disk. But maybe, as you say, this is using the GRUB.cfg ?? ..I have just checked the file and these are the options it contains. Interestingly, there is no mention/switch/option for 'persistent' in this file. Here are the contents of that file (I wasn't able to attach the file for some reason?):

Code:
    if loadfont /boot/grub/font.pf2 ; then
        set gfxmode=auto
        insmod efi_gop
        insmod efi_uga
        insmod gfxterm
        terminal_output gfxterm
    fi

set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray

menuentry "Try Ubuntu without installing" {
        set gfxpayload=keep
        linux    /casper/vmlinuz.efi  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --
        initrd    /casper/initrd.lz
    }
    menuentry "Install Ubuntu" {
        set gfxpayload=keep
        linux    /casper/vmlinuz.efi  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --
    }
    menuentry "OEM install (for manufacturers)" {
        set gfxpayload=keep
        linux    /casper/vmlinuz.efi  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash oem-config/enable=true --
    }
    menuentry "Check disc for defects" {
        set gfxpayload=keep
        linux    /casper/vmlinuz.efi  boot=casper integrity-check quiet splash --
    }

For info: I am using a SAMSUNG NP535U3C laptop with Windows 8 pre installed.

Beans
    Distro

Oh my goodness !! ....I got it working!

Ok, not that it took a whole heap of brain power, but you guys led me to where I needed to look. Thank you.

After posting the code of the 'grub.cfg' file and noting that there was no mention of 'persistent', I thought I would add it. (obviously, there would be no mention of persistent because the instructions for making up the LiveUSB, mention to not select persistent feature (ie, discard on Shutdown).

I added the word 'persistent' in the first option of the menu, after 'boot=casper' and it did the trick:

(I won't label this topic as SOLVED, as it wasn't my original post, but maybe it should be?)

Thank you oldfred and C.S.Cameron (maybe you can provide an update of your instructions C.S.Cameron? I found that it was posted here also http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2124124 , with reference to Windows 8 and possible UEFI system? )

Code:
    menuentry "Try Ubuntu without installing" {     set gfxpayload=keep     linux    /casper/vmlinuz.efi  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper persistent quiet splash --     initrd    /casper/initrd.lz

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ublondie View Post
    Oh my goodness !! ....I got it working!
    I added the word 'persistent' in the first option of the menu, after 'boot=casper' and it did the trick:
    Thank you oldfred and C.S.Cameron (maybe you can provide an update of your instructions C.S.Cameron? I found that it was posted here also http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2124124 , with reference to Windows 8 and possible UEFI system? )
    Code:
    menuentry "Try Ubuntu without installing" {
         set gfxpayload=keep
         linux    /casper/vmlinuz.efi  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper persistent quiet splash --
    }
    Congratulations

I'll just add a few tips and comments.

- In a standard USB 2 pendrive, the flash hardware is usually slower than the USB interface. So if you get a USB 3 pendrive, it will be much faster in a USB 3 port, but it will also be significantly faster in a USB 2 port.

- It could be useful to add a menuentry without persistence (everything else being the same) to get a quick-boot basic live system.

- I prefer an installed system (installed into a USB 3 pendrive) to a persistent live system because it can be updated and upgraded like any installed system. Lubuntu has a light foot-print and suits well for this purpose. But persistent live systems are flexible and useful for many situations.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast