Thread: Just got my Wild Dog desktop!

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Just got my Wild Dog desktop!

I just received my Wild Dog Performance desktop (wilp9), and wanted to say that everything looks great.

A few very slight issues, nothing of any real concern:

* The computer case is a bit bigger than I expected. Both in height and depth. I guess it's a full size case.

* The speakers I received (The 2.1 set from Logitech) are poorly designed (construction is good, but the design is poor). The volume and power isn't on either the speakers (which would be expected) or on the subwoofer, but on a separate control dial that's quite wide, making it difficult to get the cables to snake through a computer desk properly.

* The screen (27") is a standard Samsung display without built-in speakers. The stand doesn't have adjustments to tilt the display or change it's height. It does have both HDMI and VGA inputs.

* The system comes with a 6' HDMI to mini (or micro?) HDMI cord. Not much you can do there, as the video card doesn't use a standard HDMI input. I had a question about the cord, and the customer support answered it via their website even before I got the system.

Construction is otherwise quite solid. More solid than I expected, actually. System almost looks like a tank compared to my previous 4 or 5 desktops.

Don't know about the software, as I reformatted the drives as soon as I booted the system up.
    1. Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, ASUS P5L-VM 1394, GeForce 8600GT (PCI-e), WinTV PVR-150
    2. AMD Athlon 64 3500+, ACER FC51GM/Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS, NVidia GeForce 6100, Netgear WG311T

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Just got my Wild Dog desktop!

I have a wilp8. I was also a bit surprised by the size of the tower, but I shouldn't have been. I guess I was just used to the Dell mini-towers that I used to get. Hopefully you, like I, will come to love the size. It is soooooo much easier to work with inside (I installed a second hard drive) and clean the dust out.

As for the peripherals, I happened to already have decent speakers and two widescreen monitors that I liked, so I just got the tower and that's it. I'm not really sure how System76 goes about selecting what peripherals to offer alongside their machines, but as far as I'm concerned their expertise is in putting together rock-solid GNU/Linux compatible machines (I also reformat/reinstall often, so that is important). If I like the peripherals they are offering, great, but if not no big deal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Just got my Wild Dog desktop!

Quote Originally Posted by mmcmonster View Post
    * The speakers I received (The 2.1 set from Logitech) are poorly designed (construction is good, but the design is poor). The volume and power isn't on either the speakers (which would be expected) or on the subwoofer, but on a separate control dial that's quite wide, making it difficult to get the cables to snake through a computer desk properly.
    About the speakers; we're actually thinking about dropping the Logitech speakers. They make excellent keyboards and mice, but their speakers do leave something to be desired as far as design and sound quality go. We do offer the SoundSticks speaker option on all of our desktops, and we're looking at other, similar options as well.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!