Thread: lan messenger communication via ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

lan messenger communication via ubuntu

Hello,

recently I wanted to use a lan messenger via wubi at work. The problem was that all the rest of the computers connected to the lan network are windows ones and the program that were using was softros.

I found some messengers for linux like iptux, yet I was able to find out that it is not possible to communicate with another messenger like softros (I gave it a shot). This does not mean that iptux might not work while using both windows and ubuntu boxes connected to the same lan, yet this time all use the same lan messenger.

Then, I installed wine while using wubi. I do not think that using wine under an ordinary ubuntu desktop installation will have a difference. Finally, I installed softros under wine and it worked, provided that the version installed was compatible with the version of the main server. Even different versions of the same program might not cooperate with each other.

Hope this helps,
    Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: lan messenger communication via ubuntu

It looks like iptux is only compatable with other iptux clients.

Since you did get softros working on wine please add your experiences to the wine appdb entry for the benifit of other wine users.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=7237

Quote Originally Posted by Claus7 View Post
    Hello,

recently I wanted to use a lan messenger via wubi at work. The problem was that all the rest of the computers connected to the lan network are windows ones and the program that were using was softros.

I found some messengers for linux like iptux, yet I was able to find out that it is not possible to communicate with another messenger like softros (I gave it a shot). This does not mean that iptux might not work while using both windows and ubuntu boxes connected to the same lan, yet this time all use the same lan messenger.

Then, I installed wine while using wubi. I do not think that using wine under an ordinary ubuntu desktop installation will have a difference. Finally, I installed softros under wine and it worked, provided that the version installed was compatible with the version of the main server. Even different versions of the same program might not cooperate with each other.

Hope this helps,
    Regards
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: lan messenger communication via ubuntu

Hello,

I tried an obsolete version. The up to date information provided in the link you provided is more than enough I guess.

Regards!