Thread: chkrootkit and chkutmp proc.

Beans

chkrootkit and chkutmp proc.

Hi, I'm sorry, that I'm writing in this topic, but I think my problem seems to be similar. Yesterday I launched chkrootkit to check some things. Everything seems to be fine, but I'm wonder on this:

Code:
    Checking `chkutmp'...  The tty of the following user process(es) were not found  in /var/run/utmp 
    ! RUID          PID TTY    CMD  
    ! kleenex      3816 pts/0  bash  
    ! kleenex      5146 pts/0  sudo chkrootkit  
    ! root         5147 pts/0  /bin/sh /usr/sbin/chkrootkit  
    ! root         5782 pts/0  ./chkutmp  
    ! root         5784 pts/0  ps axk tty,ruser,args -o tty,pid,ruser,args  
    ! root         5783 pts/0  sh -c ps axk "tty,ruser,args" -o "tty,pid,ruser,args"
    Is it normal? There is so many informations about chkrootkit and e.g. chkutmp on the network and I'm so confused and amazed. Whether it is a record of what actions were taken by chkrootkit? (./chktump etc.) Or it is something else? In the utmp man page, we could read, that The utmp file allows one to discover information about who is currently using the system. etc. Okay. That's sounds nice. As we can see, in my case, there is only one (me; kleenex) and root users. Next entries like PID, CMD - for me - seems to be related with chkrootkit's Checking `chkutmp'... scan.

Generally, Could anybody tell me what's going on?
    Last edited by kleenex; January 24th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Beans

Re: chkrootkit and chkutmp proc.

Do you run xubuntu?

Have a look here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=chkrootkit

Beans

Re: chkrootkit and chkutmp proc.

Hi maglinu. Yes, I'm running Xubuntu 12.04.1. Thank You for the link, it explained a lot to me. So, it looks like everything is okay. What is your opinion on this chkrootkit issue? Have you any opinion on this?