Thread: Disk failure imminent

Beans

Disk failure imminent

hi,

I am using Ubuntu 10.04. I am having a problem with my HDD, it is showing "DISK FAILURE IS IMMINENT". Can i do anything about it?
    As my problem is with my office system i don't have the admin rights.Can anyone suggest the solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Disk failure imminent

Best thing to do is shut the machine down and unplug the drive cables until a replacement drive can be put in. "Imminent" is a warning of sorts, ubuntu is telling you that your data is likely okay, but won't be if you continue to use it. The sooner you shut it down, the better off your data will be.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elgordodude View Post
    Best thing to do is shut the machine down and unplug the drive cables until a replacement drive can be put in. "Imminent" is a warning of sorts, ubuntu is telling you that your data is likely okay, but won't be if you continue to use it. The sooner you shut it down, the better off your data will be.
    Is there any way to attend this problem other than replacing the drive, i mean to make it work temporarily because the system is dead slow and hangs for every ten minutes and have some things to take care of before changing the drive.

Beans

sadly not without losing your data and the HDD failing, would be nice if there was.

I HAVE read that PC Parts are made to have a finite lifetime for the reason that if they made parts that kept working for good they would become volatile, and that's much worse than simply slapping a life on them.

Beans

thanks man....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by imsudheer98 View Post
    Is there any way to attend this problem other than replacing the drive
    No, ubuntu is reporting a physical problem, not a software problem.

make it work temporarily because the system is dead slow and hangs for every ten minutes and have some things to take care of before changing the drive.
    This also points to a hardware problem, but yes you should be able to save your current work and exit. Keep in mind that imminent is a relative term, most of your data should be okay, but the longer a dying drive goes the worse it gets. SMART can give you more details, but having been there it's best to replace the drive and copy everything over, rather than kill it and try to rescue.