Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 Can't install Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

11.04 Can't install Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 8

Hi,

I'm totally new to this forum, to Linux and to Ubuntu, but so far I've been able to find solutions for the problems I had. However, I just can't find any instructions to install OALD8 with Ubuntu (I found a step-by-step guide for Debian, but that didn't work).

So, the problem is, that every time I try to execute (or run - I'm not sure what the correct term is) the setup.sh file with the "sh setup.sh" command, I get the following error: "The setup program seems to have failed on amd64/unknown". I get the same error for "./setup.sh" too. I guess the program needs some 32-bit package to be installed, but I just can't figure out which one.

Could anyone help?

I'm running the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 11.04 on a Samsung laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Andris

Beans

Re: 11.04 Can't install Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 8

hey there~
    that's because you're trying to install an 32-bit on a 64-bit system.
    attach linux32 previous to you code, sth like:
    Code:
    linux32 ./setup.sh
    [it's recommended that you copy the "linux" and "oald8.data" to you desktop or somewhere on your computer and locate under "linux" folder--where your "setup.sh" file is]

[ps: after you copy that two folders into you disk, you have to modify the permission of the "setup.sh" file by right click it, choose "property", then "permission", and check that box to allow it run as an executable file]

[pps: after finishing installation, you will have an icon on your desktop, with an ".desktop" extension as its name, please modify the permission with the same method ]

I just have 11.04 64-bit installed and I have that dictionary installed too.

Hope works for you~

Beans
    Distro

Thank you!

I managed to install it without any problem, than I gave the appropriate permission to the shortcut that was placed on the desktop. However when I started the program it asked for the flash plug-in, but it started in the background regardless, so I clicked "No, I don't want to install shockwave-flash", than the program immediately crashed. Since then every time I want to launch it, it asks for the plug-in and the CD-ROM and doesn't start at all. As far as I know, I have flash installed (youtube works just fine), that's why I'm completely puzzled...
    I tried to start from the terminal and I got the following error:

/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(oald8-bin:3519): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(oald8-bin:3519): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/andris/oald8/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libnssutil3.so.1d: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/andris/oald8/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libnssutil3.so.1d: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]

(oald8-bin:3519): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Error loading XPM image loader: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(oald8-bin:3519): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Error loading XPM image loader: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    [SKFactory::AddDisk] Volume : 'OALD8' not found

(oald8-bin:3519): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(oald8-bin:3519): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'ibus' failed

(oald8-bin:3519): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(oald8-bin:3519): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'ibus' failed
    Do you have any idea what's missing?

Beans

thank for your tutorial,
    i've installed but the sound didn't work,

do you have suggestion?

thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hi guys,
    I know this is an old tread but I think my answer can be helpful to other people.

@renon: install the voice synthetiser Festival with the package festlex-oald in order to have audio prononciation.

@Andris87: You got errors because of a bug in the natty ia32-libs. These libs enable 64bits systems to run 32bits exclusive softs like OALD or Flash player for versions under 10.
    If you do want run OALD, you have to replace the nattty ia32-libs by the maverick ones.

sudo dpkg --purge ia32-libs

Some packages including flash player will be erased, but don't worry you will be able to reinstall it later.

Then install the maverick libs from here:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/ia32-libs

and reinstall flash player, ndiswrapper ect...
    Last edited by Sowa0; August 22nd, 2011 at 05:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa0 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I know this is an old tread but I think my answer can be helpful to other people.

@renon: install the voice synthetiser Festival with the package festlex-oald in order to have audio prononciation.

@Andris87: You got errors because of a bug in the natty ia32-libs. These libs enable 64bits systems to run 32bits exclusive softs like OALD or Flash player for versions under 10.
    If you do want run OALD, you have to replace the nattty ia32-libs by the maverick ones.

Some packages including flash player will be erased, but don't worry you will be able to reinstall it later.

hiii there ..
    I can just say wowwww ... I just fixed my installation of OALD8 on Ubuntu 11.04 very smoothly. Previously I was not getting sound (pronunciation) .. but now I am using its full feature. Hats off to you buddy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa0 View Post
    Hi guys,

hey buddy ..
    I installed oald8 on Ubuntu 11.10 Ocelot today. But I can't see any desktop icon. Now tell me how to start it.

Beans

Hi everybody.
    I've Ubuntu 11.10 64 bits and I could install it. (8th Edition)

When you execute /linux/setup.sh in 64 bits, you see this message:

The setup program seems to have failed onamd64/unknown.

Well, If you go to /Linux, you'll see a directory called x86.
    So, just copy it with the name it has been indicated before, in this case, amd64
    Now you have two directories, amd64 and x86

So execute setup.sh again and you'll be able to install it perfectly.

After, the file to execute is called: ~/oald8/oald

Be sure that file has the execution permissions and just execute it. After you can link it in your desk.
    Last edited by oldos2er; December 1st, 2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Changed to default font

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@pandeylavakesh

have you tried searching for the program in the Dash? Click on the More Apps lens and then Install See More Results. The program might have an icon that you can click on or drag into the Launcher.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @pandeylavakesh

have you tried searching for the program in the Dash? Click on the More Apps lens and then Install See More Results. The program might have an icon that you can click on or drag into the Launcher.

Regards.
    yes, I checked it many times but I didn't get any shortcut. I want experts to help me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast