Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Graphics Drivers Help

Beans

Installing Graphics Drivers Help

I just decided today on giving Ubuntu a try and so far I love the look of it. I am completely new to all of this and so far have only installed Ubuntu Restricted Extras. When I look at the Details of my pc, I notice that it doesn't display my Graphics Card, it only says 'unkown'. I tried Googling how to install ATI drivers for Ubuntu 12.10, but I don't really understand most of the posts I read. My laptop has an ATI Radeon HD4200.

Another question I have is how do I manage to play World of Warcraft? I heard of Wine and was wondering if I just need to install that to run it?

And lastly, if anyone has some general tips for someone completely new like myself on where to start off it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by Mortarius; January 24th, 2013 at 02:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installing Graphics Drivers Help

Hello and welcome to the world of Linux!

A good place to start to learn about Ubuntu is the Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference book which is a few years old, but the basics have remained the same. There is also the Ubuntu Manual, or if you ever become serious about this and would like to learn about it, there is this here.

As for WINE, yes, it is possible to play WoW through WINE. There is another option, too, called PlayOnLinux and a buyable option called Cedega for like 15$. There are hundreds of sites to read through, but I will direct you to some of the ones I think have the most helpful information on them.

The Ubuntu Forum Thread of "How to" Concerning World of Warcraft and WINE.

Ubuntu World of Warcraft Guide

WoW Wikia Page

And here are some videos and links I found just recently that are worth looking into;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIzgUq4Lpa4
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/win...raft-wine.html
    http://www.fsckin.com/2007/12/20/how...ux-using-wine/

As for configuring your ATI GPU, I personally cannot offer any assistance, but I can point you towards the Ubuntu ATI driver installation page.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Beans
    Hidden!

Some great links, Lightning Dragon.

Beans

Thanks a lot for the reply, I will definitely read through those links and check out the videos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unfortunately ATI no longer makes a driver to work with your graphics card. You are using the open source driver, which is the only one you can use.

If you need better 3d acceleration, you could buy a recent Nvidia graphics card (they stay supported for ages) or install Ubuntu 12.04 instead, which has an older version of the ATI driver that works with your graphics card.

DO NOT attempt to install any other graphics driver on Ubuntu.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Okay thanks. I do have another question, when I did this dual boot it seemed to have copied a lot of files and folders from my Windows 7 OS. Is it possible to clear out my Ubuntu partition basically like a format? I only need the files on my Windows 7 OS, not the Ubuntu and there are way too many to sit and manually delete everyone one.

And while I am on that subject, is there a simple way to backtrack my version of Linux to 12.04?
    Last edited by Mortarius; January 24th, 2013 at 04:22 AM.

Beans

I would guess that the reason you see all the files from Windows is that Ubuntu has mounted your Windows partition. If I have that right, it's not a copy and you'll be sad if you delete it. If you really don't want to see it, you can unmount the partition.

Beans

When you say unmount, do I just delete the partitions and expand my C: again? What do I delete I have:

100 MB Healthy (OEM Partition)
    14.65 GB NTFS Recovery
    348.36 GB NTFS OS ( C: )

Then two blank ones: (I'm guessing these are the Ubuntu?)
    227.32 GB (Healthy Primary Partition)
    5.74 GB (Healthy Primary Partition)

I'm asking because I want to use 12.04 instead of 12.10 and don't know what the easiest way is to revert to it.
    Last edited by Mortarius; January 24th, 2013 at 05:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is no "revert" or downgrade option. You can boot from the 12.04 CD and install Ubuntu 12.04 onto the existing Ubuntu 12.10 partition, leaving you with 12.04 instead of 12.10.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Okay I will give that a try.

Thanks for all the help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast