Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Graphics Drivers Help

Beans

Re: Installing Graphics Drivers Help

Also do I check the 'format' checkbox as well?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

For the partition that the OS should be installed to, use as Ext4 and format. For all the others DO NOT FORMAT.

You may have to choose a mount point for the swap, but you can only choose swap as the mount point, so it is not confusing.
    Michael

Beans

You can see the Windows files, because you can see that partition; they wouldn't be copied across. You can't see Ubuntu when you're in Windows, but you can see Windows from Ubuntu. Mounting just means removing access to that partition. It's a very minor operation that writes a tiny amount of data into the directory called /media. In Ubuntu, the path to the mount points is /media, so for Windows it's /media/OS. You need to look at the table to see what's going on: $ sudo fdisk -l

To mount:
    Code:
     sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /media/OS
    To unmount:
    Code:
     sudo umount /media/OS
    Notes: the command is umount, not unmount. The file sys type for Windows is network file sys. The OS is a directory in media, it could be called anything you want, but OS would be the default. sda2 might not be correct for you; have to look at you partition table.

Actually, I don't see any reason why you would bother umount/ing the Windows partition, but you can if you want.
    Last edited by seeker.k3; January 25th, 2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Sorry, I didn't realise I hadn't read all the posts. A bit of a hurry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by seeker.k3 View Post
    ... Mounting just means removing access to that partition.
    Wait on!

Mounting means acquiring access. If the partition is mounted you have access. Removing access would be un-mounting.
    Michael

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123