Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRUB 1.99-21ubuntu3.7 removed countdown timer?

Beans

Re: GRUB 1.99-21ubuntu3.7 removed countdown timer?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
    I guess I haven't made myself clear: THE MACHINE WON'T BOOT.

Because the GRUB timer disappeared, "it" sits at the GRUB menu indefinitely.

Because I'm having apparent h/w related USB issues, I can't use the keyboard to manually choose a kernel to boot with.
    Sounds like a hardware issue with USB, but I'm seeing the same behavior with GRUB [Edit: The timer part, I have no change in appearance/display]. Working on several new VMs not yet deployed and this morning two of the five lost their GRUB timers, yesterday one (different than today's two) lost it's timer.

Something is causing GRUB to not "default boot". You're not alone. Came here via Google to see if this is a common/known issue...off to collect some data, maybe we can figure out the GRUB part. You're probably SOL on that USB hardware issue, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Does keyboard work to get you into BIOS before grub starts loading?
    I mentioned that in the original post: no, it doesn't.

Code:
    Thirdly, USB ports seem to have stopped working. I've tried two KBs in multiple ports and I can't even get to the BIOS setup. Booting from a CD is similarly useless
    I thought USB was related to reading flash drive or booting flash drive, not keyboard.
    Eh? I must have written the word "keyboard" a dozen times.

I used to have keyboard issues, years ago and that was a BIOS setting, but you should of had that from the beginning. Or did you flash BIOS? As that resets to defaults.
    Have never flashed that mobo's BIOS. Would have thought of that first if I had recently flashed it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VyReN View Post
    Sounds like a hardware issue with USB, (snip) You're probably SOL on that USB hardware issue, though.
    Thanks, but that confuses me. How does USB just... fail?

(Note that it still sends power to my Nook and the lights in my keyboard keys.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

do you have ps/2 ports and an adapter? I have 3 or 4 USB to ps/2 adapters (see below why). New keyboards now do not include the adaptors.
    Or is this a laptop.

Or it may just be keyboard, I have had several fail over the years, but I tend to buy cheap ones, so I pay the price. The only keyboard I really liked was the old IBM AT one.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    do you have ps/2 ports and an adapter? I have 3 or 4 USB to ps/2 adapters (see below why). New keyboards now do not include the adaptors.
    No. I have thought of that, but don't have any and haven't been able to get to Radio Shack yet.

Or is this a laptop.
    In that case I'd have unplugged the external k/b and used the internal one.

Or it may just be keyboard
    That's why I mentioned that I tried two keyboards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12