Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant find my cpu speed

Beans

cant find my cpu speed

i tried using cat /proc/cpuinfo and under model name where i usually find it on my other machines i see

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+

is the 4000+ my cpu speed or what im used to seeing it like 1.3 ghz or 2.0 ghz or something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: cant find my cpu speed

Hello,

Nope, I do believe that is part of the name of your CPU. If I have the right CPU, this is the speed of your CPU "2.1" ghz. Install "sysinfo" to be able to see all of your hardware details, including CPU details.

To download via the terminal, sudo;

sudo apt-get install sysinfo

Yours should read off as "2100.000 MHz" in sysinfo.

Beans

right-o thanks mate

Beans

although it is only a 2.1 ghz sigh lol

Beans

Paste the output from lshw:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lshw
    sudo lshw -C CPU
    is the 4000+ my cpu speed
    No, there were a few AMD chips to use this model name and some of them had different speeds. At the time, '4000' meant it was the equivalent of a Pentium4/D 4.0GHz (to help consumers that couldn't grasp the concept of CPU performance being based on factors besides clock speed).

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by randywolf244 View Post
    although it is only a 2.1 ghz sigh lol
    I am not sure of the model you have, so it might be higher (or if the brand is correct, it can at least be overclocked to 2.8Ghz). Or did the sysinfo say it was "2.1" ghz?
    Last edited by Lightning Dragon; January 23rd, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Dragon View Post
    sudo apt-get install sysinfo
    It's probably better to have users use lshw or some lightweight text tool. Installing sysinfo will grab a bunch of mono packages that are not present on Lubuntu (as well as X/K/ubuntu?) by default.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    It's probably better to have users use lshw or some lightweight text tool. Installing sysinfo will grab a bunch of mono packages that are not present on Lubuntu (as well as X/K/ubuntu?) by default.
    Oh, you are right! I completely forgot about the lshw command. It is a better choice.

I recommend sysinfo a lot to people looking fur GUI system information on the entire system, so I guess it is now a habit to only suggest it and assume would be preferred.

Beans

Yeah, I actually remembered that Ubuntu dropped mono from all default installs since 12.04. sysinfo is good for those allergic to terminals, but I hate that annoying bug where it says "Unknown Graphics" and the user freaks out about video drivers.

Beans
    Distro

I hate that bug, especially when the distro detects what it is through its Detail page. And he would probably get the "exec: 9: mono: not found" problem in Xubuntu too, so your step should definitely be taken.

Although, if I remember correctly, he could try going into the System Monitor if he does prefer a GUI. It should display there the way he was originally looking for. It should be in Menu > System > System Monitor.

That should display the same thing sysinfo does, and will also have a GUI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast