Thread: IP Camera Software

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question IP Camera Software

I'm looking for some software that will allow me to do the following:

1 - Connect to IP cameras at various locations (I know how to setup all of the port forwarding and everything - I just need software that doesn't requre to be ran locally

2 - Software that ideally has the ability to record video/do motion capture

3 - Software that has the ability to send out alerts via email or SMS

I have found Windows software that does this quite easily, but I am wondering about some Linux software that is ideally free.
    Check out my Youtube channel for some awesome gaming videos, including Dragonforce, "Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert Performance Mode from Guitar Hero III. My Youtube Channel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: IP Camera Software

A quick google search turned up this:

http://www.zoneminder.com/

I can't say if it is any good as I haven't tried it

Edit:

Looks like it is in the universe repo:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...searchon=names
    Last edited by alphacrucis2; January 23rd, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you for the info - I did come across that before, but the major issue is that is designed for CCTV systems - which my understanding means closed circuit IE local network.

I need to be connecting to monitor different sites (5-10 with multiple cameras at each location - all feeding back to a central location that is not onsite, IE not CCTV.

I haven't looked into it and I could definately be wrong in my understanding.
    Check out my Youtube channel for some awesome gaming videos, including Dragonforce, "Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert Performance Mode from Guitar Hero III. My Youtube Channel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by x C0MMAND0 x View Post
    Thank you for the info - I did come across that before, but the major issue is that is designed for CCTV systems - which my understanding means closed circuit IE local network.

I need to be connecting to monitor different sites (5-10 with multiple cameras at each location - all feeding back to a central location that is not onsite, IE not CCTV.

I haven't looked into it and I could definately be wrong in my understanding.
    The wiki for the zoneminder says it supports network cameras as long as they stream mjpeg. There is a list of tested network cameras in the wiki:

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index...atibility_List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

I set up something similar on a Windows box using iSpy and WatchBot cameras. We were able to view the video feed on a smartphone.

As the previous poster suggested, i think zoneminder should work for you if it handles streaming network webcams and you have enough bandwidth.

There is also motion but i have used neither motion or zoneminder.

Kind regards
    Join us on irc at #ubuntuforums. For web chat see here

If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

Do not read newspapers on an empty stomach ~ Russian Proverb ~ BrunoLotse