Thread: Precise - Run Script on USB Insert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Precise - Run Script on USB Insert

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I'd like to automatically mount when it is inserted. I'm using go-mtpfs to mount the phone's filesystems to a directory and this is working great for me.

I created a UDev rule (51-android.rules):

Code:
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6860", RUN+="mounts3"
    for my device:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 012: ID 04e8:6860 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd GT-I9100 Phone [Galaxy S II]
      idVendor           0x04e8 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
    mounts3:

Code:
    go-mtpfs /home/me/MyAndroid
    However, mounts3 is not running when my device is inserted. Help, please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Precise - Run Script on USB Insert

Using the following guide I was able to successfully setup udev to mount/automount my S3:

http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/24...unt-nexus7-mtp

Code:
    # Samsung Galaxy S3 MTP mode : automatic mount when plugged
    ENV{ID_MODEL}=="SAMSUNG_Android_SGH-T999", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="6860", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/bin/sudo -b -u ken /usr/bin/go-mtpfs -allow-other=true /home/me/MyAndroid"

# Samsung Galaxy S3 MTP mode : automatic unmount when unplugged
    ENV{ID_MODEL}=="SAMSUNG_Android_SGH-T999", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="6860", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/umount /home/me/MyAndroid"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Precise - Run Script on USB Insert

Quote Originally Posted by mastermindg View Post
    Using the following guide I was able to successfully setup udev to mount/automount my S3:

http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/24...unt-nexus7-mtp

Code:
    # Samsung Galaxy S3 MTP mode : automatic mount when plugged
    ENV{ID_MODEL}=="SAMSUNG_Android_SGH-T999", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="6860", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/bin/sudo -b -u ken /usr/bin/go-mtpfs -allow-other=true /home/me/MyAndroid"

# Samsung Galaxy S3 MTP mode : automatic unmount when unplugged
    ENV{ID_MODEL}=="SAMSUNG_Android_SGH-T999", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="6860", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/umount /home/me/MyAndroid"
    Thanks for following up. I've been trying to get my Samsung Galaxy tab 2 (tablet) with Jelly Bean to mount using that, and it doesn't work at all. Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit. It seems like I've had problems since moving from 32 to 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04.1; it works, but has problems like causing Nautilus to lock up for a while periodically.

I also don't understand the sudo for the mount command - does it prompt you for the password? I would think that it's not really needed to mount in your home directory anyway, just in /media. I know I don't need sudo to run go-mtpfs on the command line.