Thread: Mixer Applet on desktop & No Sound

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Mixer Applet on desktop & No Sound

I have installed the Audio Mixer (Alsa Mixer) on my desktop as I could not control the audio volume in MythTV.

At first, the Master Volume moved the sound volume up and down. Then I added "Headphones" from Select Controls. After that, I have no sound in any application. VLC plays but no sound. MythTV shows tv picture but no sound. I have rebooted to see if that would correct itself. No I have not Muted the sound and missed the little X through the loudspeaker icon.

Audio Mixer title bar reads in full: Audio Mixer - HDA NVidia (Alsa mixer).

Sound card (pull down menu reads): HDA Nvidia (Alsa mixer)
    USB Device 0x46d:0x807 (Alsa Mixer)
    Playback: Built-in Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
    next come capture devices. Is that relevant? See screenshot if relevant.

Moving the Audio Mixer applet to the desktop brought up a warning about "not executable" and trusted. I clicked Make Executable or some such.

And each time I call (run) the Mixer Applet, the Master Volume's loudspeaker icon is set to Mute (x through it).

I find a related idea at: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139723

And this guy had to compile the Alsa driver - http://www.debianuserforums.org/view...hp?f=55&t=1969

The following URL had a temporary fix.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/65764...nd-with-amixer

Run this line:

for i in $(amixer |grep -o \'.*\'); do amixer set $i unmute; done

I may be goofy wrong about this but this bug seems to have fubar'd my panel icon for Thunderbird. It won't launch.
    Anyone know what has happened here?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark_in_Hollywood; January 23rd, 2013 at 05:13 AM. Reason: added info
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans

Re: Mixer Applet on desktop & No Sound

Right click on the mixer icon (in the taskbar, not the desktop) and select "Properties" to select which card/channel you want, or if you're into terminal commands, here's an example to see which track is active:
    Code:
    xfconf-query -c xfce4-mixer -p /active-track

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

mark@Lexington-19:/$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-mixer -p /active-track
    Property "/active-track" does not exist on channel "xfce4-mixer".
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans

Hmm. Maybe Ubuntu does xfconf differently than Debian because that command works for me. Anyway, you didn't mention whether you used the other technique:
    Right click on the mixer icon (in the taskbar, not the desktop) and select "Properties" to select which card/channel you want