Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samba error??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Samba error??

Quote Originally Posted by volkswagner View Post
    SAMBA is designed for local LAN access and is not secure for exposing to WAN.

If you have opened port 22 on your machine to the outside world, it is best to use key authentication, disable root ssh access and disable password ssh auth.

At the very minimum you should have disabled root ssh access or have a super strong password.
    +1. Another thing that can be done with SSH is enabling two-factor auth by using a Google authenticator. That would allow passwords to be used but also require the input of a unique key.

http://www.howtogeek.com/121650/how-...uthentication/

Not really on topic, but maybe it will be helpful to someone.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Samba error??

Quote Originally Posted by volkswagner View Post
    SAMBA is designed for local LAN access and is not secure for exposing to WAN.

If you have opened port 22 on your machine to the outside world, it is best to use key authentication, disable root ssh access and disable password ssh auth.

At the very minimum you should have disabled root ssh access or have a super strong password.

I'm curious if you have samba working locally by changing the security = share?

What type of client are you connecting to the server with? If you are using a Linux client, you can simply use ssh or sftp for file level access.

Ubuntu desktop has a builtin client to connect via ssh/sftp.

From Nautilus:
    > File > Connect to Server > enter server name or ip address > choose SSH as type (port 22) > leave folder as / or change to /home/shares/documents > enter username and password and connect.

You can use this method from outside you lan by substituting the servers external ip address.

sorry for the super late response. I have been working on some other things with the server and now the samba is crucially important. the client is my windows side of my laptop. I duel booted it and I would like to run certain programs from my server as well as copy and paste windows documents.

Beans

For some reason when I try to copy something to my server from a windows side I keep getting the error message.
    bstrizzy@nova:~$ ls -al /home/bstrizzy/share
    total 8
    drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nogroup 4096 2013-01-22 15:35 .
    drwxr-xr-x 10 bstrizzy bstrizzy 4096 2013-01-22 15:35 ..
    The only user getting write access to that share is "nobody" so you have some options. Here's 2:

** Make it so anybody can write to it:
    Code:
    chmod 0777 /home/bstrizzy/share
    ** Make all the remote guests look like nobody
    [share]
    comment = where window files will be stored
    path = /home/bstrizzy/share
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    force user = nobody
    create mask = 0755
    BTW, Somebody really needs to take down this HowTo: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/server...ileserver.html

It's factually incorrect and anyone following it to the letter will not have success.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    The only user getting write access to that share is "nobody" so you have some options. Here's 2:

** Make it so anybody can write to it:
    Code:
    chmod 0777 /home/bstrizzy/share
    ** Make all the remote guests look like nobody
    BTW, Somebody really needs to take down this HowTo: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/server...ileserver.html

It's factually incorrect and anyone following it to the letter will not have success.
    thanks, I just changed the settings and will be trying the transfer now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12