Thread: dell dimension 4600

Beans

dell dimension 4600

Any issues with ubuntu on dell dimension 4600 ? Plan on dual boot windows xp and ubuntu 12.04 any boot issues ?

Beans

Re: dell dimension 4600

I only need windows for canon scanner. How small can I make windows partiton? Want most of 80 gig drive for ubuntu. Have external 250 gig drive to store data.

Beans

I have a 4600 with xp and ubuntu 11.04 on it. No problem except wi-fi, which worked with ubuntu but not xp for some reason. took the easy way out by using a usb wireless device. probably is another fix but i didn't take the time to figure it out because it is a play computer, not my main one.

Beans

I have an old Dell dimension 4600 too. I dual boot it right now with Windows XP and LXLE, which is a respin of Lubuntu 12.04.

I use it also to test the coming Lubuntu 13.10. It works well with the beta1 version, that you can get from this link

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/302/builds/52688/downloads

You might still get problems, depending on the graphics card, but mine works well. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Unity might be slow on that machine, but it will run quite well, if you tweak it according to

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks

Beans

I have tried version 13.04 on my Dell 4600, it installs ok but seems to freeze up. Version 12.04 seems to work fine but not 13.04.

Strange...

Beans

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

Please post let us know what is your graphics card and or wifi card (if you have one). Those can be different and some cause problems.

I think that in this case a driver for some hardware was dropped between 12.04 and 13.04.

Beans

i installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Dimension 4600 and completely wiped the WinXP OS. I had problems with the nVidia card, but swapped with another machine in the house and learned the card was failing. ordered a replacement card and everything is working fine. using a linksys usb 54wrt(?) wireless required a little tinkering, but the installation of a firmware package solved that too. Recently ordered a Bolse mini-usb wireless stick from Amazon ($15) for another linux box in the house...plug & play with NO issues whatsoever. Everything is fine...go ahead and do it. If you want to dual-boot, I'd allocate around 20GB for XP, depending on how many programs you load into XP.