Thread: How can I have different X & sound configuration depending on which user logs in?

Beans

Question How can I have different X & sound configuration depending on which user logs in?

First off: I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and the NVIDIA X Server Settings GUI to configure.

I've recently gotten a new LED TV hooked up to my computer - the video card supports two displays. I would like to create a user "TV" that, when they log in, the default display is the TV and my monitor is disabled.

Using the NVIDIA tool, I only seem to be able to save the settings for all users. So each time I want to watch on the TV, I have to go and reconfigure. Not only the X server settings, but also the sound settings (to make sure sound goes out to HDMI and not the computer speakers).

I know there must be a way of easily doing this by dropping the config file into a certain location or something.... please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I have different X & sound configuration depending on which user logs in?

Not really sure, but have you considered using a keystroke to toggle between monitor and the TV, similar to Win7's super-P or "connect to a projector" GUI?

Beans

Re: How can I have different X & sound configuration depending on which user logs in?

I might consider it if you could tell me what ketstrokes would accomplish that. But really, since I am going to use a whole different user login, I'd just prefer that the X (and audio) setup be what I want when that "TV" user logs in.