Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D accelaration with Poulsbo GMA500 through EMGD

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Re: 3D accelaration with Poulsbo GMA500 through EMGD

Here is someone who worked on(?) porting EMGD to Windows 7 and Windows 8 - maybe you can find out if there are any plans for support of EMGD on 3.x Linux kernels:

http://gma500booster.blogspot.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    Here is someone who worked on(?) porting EMGD to Windows 7 and Windows 8 - maybe you can find out if there are any plans for support of EMGD on 3.x Linux kernels:

http://gma500booster.blogspot.com/
    Obviously, there's nothing for Linux.
    I had given up for those tryings.

Beans

Exclamation Re: 3D accelaration with Poulsbo GMA500 through EMGD

Quote Originally Posted by neokod View Post
    And if someone have used this method, I would like to known if he could help me

So, I have downgrade xorg, and used your deb packages. I have blacklisted psb/gma500 modules, and added a redirection script for X (because of the "-background" option renamed "-nr").

I have found the exact resolution parameters (for the native 1366x768 resolution), and I have no errors (EE), warnings (WW), failed messages or others problems in the logs.

But, strangly, I still have a blank screen ....

<snip>

I hope someone could help me ! This will be very very very appreciated !
    I guess the instructions you followed are for the fitpc. This has a HDMI connected to the SDVO. Your laptop probable has the display connected to the LVDS port.

I have a fitpc myself so my xorg.conf won't help you much. For instands I have
    portorder

You didn't mention how you exactly downgraded X and where you got the emgd package.

Myself, I added maverick from deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu maverick main and added the ppa from Jools Wills to obtain emgd and some other stuff (mplayer-vaapi).

Downgrading easily goes wrong as some packages refuse to downgrade because of complicated dependancies. I needed to 'help' the downgrade by removing certain packages temporarily and/or force a certain version in aptitude.

In your case you have xserver-common 1.13, while it should probably be 1.9.
    Similar libgl1-mesa-dri 9, where I have 7.9.

There will probably be other stuff too that didn't downgrade.

It's a mess and probably get's more messy with each new ubuntu release. Don't forget, your making a sort of of remix of packages, that ultimately have little to do with ubuntu anymore.

The good news is: it can actually work. The emgd 2D is about the same speed as gma500_gfx, but supports 3D and video decode (through vaapi). I played a 1080 HD video with my fitpc!

Kubuntu opengl and gles desktop effects don't really work that well (crash kwin). With xrender it's fine, but you don't need emgd to do that.

All that said, if you need to play video it may be worth to go to emgd. For 3D, I have mixed results. Kwin desktop effects is not really worth the trouble, and from what I heard gnome and unity give no joy. XBMC runs (the gl based gui give 15fps), but that doesn't play video well. mplayer-vaapi is what you need for HD playback. If you need to run other gl applications, they might work well,

Ferry

Beans

try eminteepc
    linux mint + emgd

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Hello all together,

don't know if there is any interest left getting EMGD working on your devices, but I want to get it working again.
    Maybe some people of you remember me from the past - for those who don't: I made the Xorg downgrades and the xorg.conf generator for our community. I'm glad to see many howto's using them online
    After my netbook's mainboard got broken I wasn't able to test my work, but now I bought a cheap mainboard from asia and I'd like to work on it again

Well, as EMGD 1.16 is out and there seem to be problems getting it working on Raring.. What are the most big problems at the moment? Do we still need Xorg downgrades? What about the kernel version?
    Hope you can get me up-to-date again, thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Got now EMGD working. Just need to make downgrading Xorg and Mesa cleaner.
    I'm not really sure but I think I never downgraded Mesa for older EMGD versions before.
    In my point of view OpenGL is fast and works good.
    Tested on openarena, XBMC, projectm-pulseaudio and other opengl-software..
    Just a framework, called kivy, I wanted to get working does not work, but seems to be releated to SDL.

If there are any questions feedback is welcome in this thread.

EMGD_UbuntuSaucy.png
    (Xorg 1.9 + Mesa 7.9 on Ubuntu Saucy (kernel 3.11) )

PS: This glxgears window above gives ~425FPS
    PSS: Sorry about the screenshot quality..
    Last edited by thopiekar; February 9th, 2014 at 07:13 PM.

Beans

Wow!, could you post a how to?, I would love to go back to linux since I have to remain windows 7 installed because of the 2D and 3D acceleration. How's the video playback?

Beans
    Distro

Well, in my case installing Win7 was not an option as I just have 16GB SSD.

Video playback is ok, if you are watching SD video..
    As I didn't get VA-API working and looking at the CPU usage, I think it is related to the encoding that the playback is that poor.
    Saw people at yoctoproject providing patches for EMGD or vaapi to make (their own) driver work.
    Sadly I found no way to debug that as I think there are missing dependencies or find these patches to make it work.

I'm uploading my work to GitHub and my PPA at launchpad. There are many old packages in it, but I'm working on a clean up.
    So it is still a work in progress.

Can't say it will work on your netbook, too, I use a Asus T91. The driver still does not configure the screen automaticly, you'll need to configure it by hand. (emgd-xorg-conf does not work for me since emgd 1.10) But Intel provides two samples for that and one of it worked.
    However when looking at the hours I spent on getting this driver work, getting no help from Intel as they say I had to own a company to get deeper support and I never asked for money in the past even for a cup of coffee, I will probably now don't provide any instructions as long as I don't see any feedback.

PS: Here a clip to see my results: http://youtu.be/v5VHH5ie2CY
    Last edited by thopiekar; February 10th, 2014 at 09:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, added now quick start guide at https://github.com/EMGD-Community/in...ck-start-guide
    Give still not support on that, so you'll need to make it work in your own.
    Please let me know when you get it working to collect the configurations which need to be made.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast