Thread: supermicro support? Ubuntu version hardware support?

Beans

supermicro support? Ubuntu version hardware support?

I'm new to Ubuntu and pretty much Linux for that matter - my non M$ OS of choice being FreeBSD.

I've started a project to get running a BigBlueButton box and it is very specific that 10.04 should be used (there are workarounds for other versions but it's recommended against and I need setup to go smooth to spend my limited time on config and testing)

SuperMicro servers have been my low buck, excellent performance, non M$ based choice for years and I'd like to use one for this. Based on their online list, they have like 3!!! older servers that are directly compatible with 10.04 - others that are 8x, 9x compat and a bunch of newer ones that are 11x,12x compat. The vast majority are made for M$, SuSe and RH OSes.

Without me having to research the individual components on their MB's for compatibility, does anyone have generic compatibility info about SM products?

What about Ubuntu's backwards and forwards hardware compatibility range? Is 9x or 11x or 12x supported hardware also supported in 10.04?

Thanks in advance! Rich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: supermicro support? Ubuntu version hardware support?

Beans

Re: supermicro support? Ubuntu version hardware support?

no, I all ready been through the the Super Micro compatibility lists and found there's only 3-4 servers that they made for 10.04.

what I'm wanting to know is if a server is compatible with 10.04, will a newer Ubuntu revision support the same hardware as an earlier version.

does version 11.x or 12.x have the same drivers as 10.04?