Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brasero is terrible....

Beans

Re: Brasero is terrible....

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Probably easier to kill the existing process, much quicker than rebooting or logging out/back in

I seem to find that loading Brasero first and then taking the burn image option allows me to burn as many disks as I want. Certainly not satisfactory but <shrug>.

Not sure that you have quite got the concept of "Recurring Discussions"
    I've actually tried just killing the process, both through System Monitor and by using "top" in the terminal, but many times only a full reboot works to get Brasero working after it's first use for burning an iso

BTW we may be talking about two different things. I can burn multiple images of the same iso but I tend to test multiple iso's. That is I may use zsync to update both Ubuntu and Lubuntu images, then if I try to burn the Ubuntu image, and then the Lubuntu image, Brasero just fails to work for the second burn w/o a reboot.

To take this a bit further someone has recently brought up a problem at the Raring dev section of the forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2091717

And jbicha who has devoted a great deal of dev and bug fixing time to both Ubuntu and Ubuntu-GNOME-Remix has this to say:

The problem is that many (most?) of the technical people that would work on improving and fixing GNOME or Ubuntu apps don't really burn CDs these days. So Brasero is undermaintained.

It looks like the root cause for the problem has been identified though (and it doesn't affect Ubuntu 12.10 unless you use the GNOME3 PPA or similar to install the new Brasero).
    I don't know but maybe the same is true of multiple iso image burning

The sad fact is that a lot of native GNOME apps are being shipped either broken or premature, example in point:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2004848

That takes us to whether or not this should be moved to the remote corner called "recurring". How much difference is there between this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...86&postcount=1

And this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...56&postcount=1

IMHO there's very little difference. In both cases Ubuntu released a partially borked app in what a person should expect to be a stable release. So this policy of moving negative threads to recurring or just killing them becomes nothing less than silencing dissent

Regarding the Abiword thing I recently had a post jailed:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2100661

How harsh was that really?

Particularly compared to this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...15&postcount=6

I see that as only saying that Debian is more stable than Ubuntu and I get tired of people using our forums to recommend other distros - even though I understand we're closely tied to, and based on Debian.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphyzikal View Post
    Hi, running Ubuntu 12.04LTS, wondering if there is a better Burner than Brasero? any ideas ?

thanks..
    K3b is great, at least here in 10.10, and I imagine it has only become even better. It does mean pulling in some KDE dependencies unless you're running Kubuntu, but well worth it IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphyzikal View Post
    Hi, running Ubuntu 12.04LTS, wondering if there is a better Burner than Brasero? any ideas ?

thanks..
    I agree one hundred percent and have never understood why devs insist on placing it in their distros. Fortunately, in the 'buntus and in Debian, wodim is a viable option. If you do not like the CLI, then try xfburn. It's very simple and light.

K3b is great if one does not mind cluttering up the install with KDE or if it will be used with transcode. (But there are newer options than transcode, too.)

EDIT: OMG but the Mods went nuts over this -- LOL!
    Last edited by sidzen; January 27th, 2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: editorialize
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans

To the OP:
    Get K3b and don't look back. It's top-notch, and totally reliable. I gave up on Brasero long ago, when I found that it always crashed when used for its only legal purpose (CDs on uncopyrighted, nonpublic content), and no one was fixing it. That bug and some others have been fixed, but I assume you have found others.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    IMHO there's very little difference. In both cases Ubuntu released a partially borked app in what a person should expect to be a stable release. So this policy of moving negative threads to recurring or just killing them becomes nothing less than silencing dissent

Regarding the Abiword thing I recently had a post jailed:
    If it helps, I sympathise with your point of view. There are quite a few applications that simply fail to do the job. Dissent is not very welcome, but more importantly, valid bug reports get jailed too. On the other hand, I'm very grateful that someone writes all this great software for free.

Now that the original question has been answered, I'd like to give a plug for one great Gnome program: Gnumeric. It's a good program, but here's the best part: those guys promptly fix bugs, sometimes within a few hours. They have actually fixed all the bugs I've reported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have often experienced Brasero shredding my +RW discs and rendered them useless for reasons I don't understand. This is especially the case when I burn a faulty .iso image, and need to wipe the disc to write an intact and .md5sum-checked image..
    GNU/Linux is like a delicate lady - if it's doing something wrong, it's your fault.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123